"Finland in our hearts" - event in Åbo, Finland - July, 1st – 4th, 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Finland in our hearts" - event in Åbo, Finland - July, 1st – 4th, 2011

• Syrene Forsman is presenting SFHS' exhibition "1820-1920 - A century of Swedish-Finns in California"
    • at the -- FINLAND IN OUR HEARTS -- a Festival for expatriate Finns in Åbo, July 1-4, 2011
    • The exhibition consists of 12 A3 sized sheets filled with information – about gold, wine, timber and whaling. About associations, lodges about entrepreneurs, loggers and goldseekers...
    • in the above picture some of the key Swedish-Finn locations in CA
    • the exhibition will also be shown at the FinnFest in San Diego, CA this August
    • the complete exhibition material is shown here. NB! As said - you need to be logged in!! (Registration free-of-charge)
    Hasse
    Admin
    Administrator
    Last edited by Hasse; 14-07-11, 21:55.

I don't see Richmond, CA listed. Johan/John Nyström from Karleby was an early settler and prominent citizen of Richmond. I was recently contacted by his grandson Steve Nystrom. Steve said: my grandfather used to tell us that John did become very successful in the real estate business in Richmond, CA. While he may not be credited with being the founder of the city, he was quite involved in its early development. He and a man named McDonald, were considered two of the most prominent men involved with development of the city in its earliest days. As you know, there is an elementary school named after him (still standing) and a subdivision, Nystrom Village, that he developed. I'm told that when John died, he was quite wealthy and owned a sizable amount of land in Richmond. In fact, some of that land later become very coveted property for the Chevron oil refineries that exist today.
    June

Comment

Nyström

Thanks June, I think Syrene must remember this when the exhibition is held in San Diego later this Summer (all that material is still not finished). I guess this Johan Nyström is the person you submitted an article about, ie. this article.

Hasse
      Hasse
      Admin
      Administrator
      Last edited by Hasse; 30-06-11, 07:47.

Comment

Hasse,

Yes, that's the article about John Nyström, and I have sent Steve Nystrom all this information and suggested that he join the Forum. I also wrote to Syrene about this.
        June

Comment

Hi
          Given the limited space, I had to select individuals who fit either towns where lodges were organized or activities which involved Swedish Finns, like Fort Ross, and the Gold Rush. So Törnqvist who was perhaps the first Swedish Finn in the gold fields, and Kohn, who actually found enough gold to move to another state and begin a life as a farmer were chosen for the Gold Rush. John Nyström is of course well worth our attention. Thanks for your work on the article. And thanks for helping direct people to us who had photos and info which could be used in the panels on lodges in Eureka, Los Angeles - Riverside, etc. I was amazed at the huge number of Swedish Finns who established themselves in California, particularly after 1880. Glad that K-G Olin wrote a book on Gold and the Redwoods!
          Syrene
          Support SFHS - Building a bridge back to Finland!

Comment

Working...
          X