I don't know where to start! LOL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know where to start! LOL

I'm trying to find information on my grandfather's family and don't know where to go next.

All I'm able to find on the internet records is that his name was Wilho Hill born 17 Sept, 1910 in Illinois and died 4 Dec, 1981. He later changed it to William. He married Deloris Anderson 14 Nov, 1931.

His mother was Alina Wickland born 20 March, 1886 in Jurva, Finland - died in Winthrop Harbor, IL 27 March, 1941. Her father was Herman Wickland and Sofia Wickland. She arrived in US around 1903.

Wilho's father was born 12 Dec, 1885 Russia, Finland - Died 9 Oct, 1938 in Elgin, Ill. His parents spent most of their lives in Waukegan and Winthrop Harbor, Ill. He arrived in the US in between 1900-1904.

From what I know there was family in Waukegan, Ill. I have found pictures from there with the name Mikkonen from a photography studio in Waukegan, Ill. I was also told that they family owned a textile factory in Finland. I know they came here with money.

Thanks you,
    Dawn

Institute of Migration Passport Record: Hulda Alina Viklund, born 1886, Home Parish Jurva, received a passport to America on 18.11.1903

Hulda Elina, born 12.3.1886, Jurva; parents Herman Tuomap. Widlund and Serafia Erkintr

Shown with parents and siblings in Jurva Rippikirja, 1886-1895, Niemi 1, Niemi

Herman Tomasson (Tuomanpoika) Vidlund and Serafia Eriksdotter (Erkintytär) Koskiniemi were married 5.7.1874, Jurva

Tomasson and Eriksdotter are the Swedish patronymics...Tuomanpoika and Erkintytär in Finnish
    Attached Files
    BessemerFinn
    Registered
    Last edited by BessemerFinn; 08-11-14, 20:23.

Comment

1903 NY Passenger List (line 23): Alina Wiklund, age 18, going to join friend Tuomas Wiklund, 308 South Ave, Waukegan, IL.

The friend may be her brother Tuomas Aron, born 1879
      Attached Files

Comment

That was amazing! Thank you. My grandfather use to watch a show that plays on channel 6 out of Marquette, MI Finland Calling so he could remember his language. I loved listening to him talk to the TV. I sure wish I could read Finnish.

Dawn

Comment

Could some one explain how the names work. Is there a specific reason for middle name? I have been on line all day with the information you gave me and have found nothing! I think I'm over thinking this.

Comment

Here is a good article on the Finnish naming system... http://www.genealogia.fi/emi/art/article216e.htm

Where have you been looking online???

You should look here: http://www.sukuhistoria.fi/sshy/index_eng.htm A significant number of books for Jurva are available free; more recent info available at the members' site

And here (free): http://hiski.genealogia.fi/hiski?en No data available at HisKi for Jurva prior to 1850

Let me know if you have problems navigating around those sites...maybe I can help...
            BessemerFinn
            Registered
            Last edited by BessemerFinn; 10-11-14, 14:59.

Comment

I have not yet been able to find Andrew William Hill, born 12.12.1885, in the Finnish parish records...but his Finnish birth name was probably Anders Wilhelm...and his surname could have been Hill, but also some variation of Mäki, which translates to Hill in English...

Comment

Hi Dawn ,
                I am new to this site as it sounds you may be also?
                I had to trace my family tree backwards, meaning I had to start from the place my grandfather was born, Vasa, Finland. I contacted the Vora Emigration Center in Finland and a person from this team of researchers (genealogists) contacted me and researched the whole family tree for me. The research does have a cost but not a large sum, it will depend on how many hours they spend on finding your ancestors. www.emicenter.fi I hope this helps you :-). My grandfather came to Illinois as well (Chicago Heights).

Comment

We have some excellent researchers on this forum, ready to help... all they need are some queries so they can get to work.
                  June

Comment

Working...
                  X