help with logging in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with logging in

hello! Why do I have to log in about 3 times before I get in to my account? this starts to be disturbing.. =/

/cate

This happened to me too Cate, some weeks ago now. I had to keep typing in my name and password twice so that I can get onto the forum. I dont know why it happened.

But now what I do is I stay logged in all the time, I am only using my home computer so it is safe for me to do that. Maybe ask Hasse or someone else here who may be able to help you. I am not very technical but this is what I did to solve my logging in problem.

Ayla
    xxx
    p.s. hope you feel better now.
    Researching Brander, Ruuhikorpi, Forsbacka, Paloheimo
    Holmund, Hummelholm, Wärn, Kiisk, Kanckos, Soderman, Arctopolitanus, Paulinus, Udny/Udnie

Comment

logging in

I share your dismay. I get bounced back out too. But I always get logged on the second time. At first, I had no clue. I got a new laptop for travel and I don't get the same problem when I log in on that one. I haven't figured out if it is a problem with the way the ISP is programed into the office computer and is different on the new laptop. To avoid the problem I have resorted to not using the log off. I just hit my home button at the end of my daily searches. This seems to avoid the log. relog routine.

Comment

Logging in problems

I also cannot log in on my laptop, but my PC has no problems. I have e-mailed the webmaster, but as yet I haven't received an answer. Hopefully they are workiing on it.

Roberta

Comment

It is quite curious that when I use Mozilla Firefox to access the web I do not have the bounce problem logging in to this site. Those listers having the log in problem may want to try Mozilla Firefox.

Comment

Logging in problems

The problems with logging in has to do with how stictly you have defined your security policy in your browser. The forum has to have the possibility to store so called cookies onto your hard drive. These cookies enables the forum pages to "remember" who you are, that you are logged in etc. Without these cookies or if only some of the cookies can be red and written - you end up with a malfunctioning page.

Why does the forum use these cookies? - The answer is simply - because we want to protect the forum, its users from spammers, virus spreaders, email harvesters etc.

If your browser acts up - or as you may put it - if the pages don't work "as they should"... then you need to recheck the security settings in your browser. You might also need to remove any stored cookies from the website in case the cookies were stored only partly -- and after that logging in a new time.

If your sequrity settings are ok and you select the "Remember me" option when logging in you will not see any problems with the forum.

The forum software in question is a very frequently used software package and the login mechanisms are quite thoroughly tested.

If you use some version of Explorer you might want to see the other browsers also. As mentioned Firefox is a very good alternative.

And.... the proper address to the forum is http://finlander.eget.net - ie. without the www prefix in front. Start using that instead. Maybe that helps?

Hasse

Comment

Hasse,
              I removed the cookies and tempory files. Then I reduced my security setting for medium high to medium (that is the lowest possible level). I rebooted and tried to log on with using windows internet explorer. I entered my user name, password and checked remember me. I was bounced out after seeing thank you for logging on. I was successful upon the second attempt as before. There is something else problematic but as I said using Firefox works while windows internet explorer is defective in my experience. David

Comment

Are you...

...opening the same url address in both machines? Check your bookmark.

The forum is setup to work from the address finlander.eget.net and I can understand some browsers (Explorer?) need to setup cookies for both http://www.finlander.eget.net and http://finlander.eget.net if one starts the session with the http://www.finlander.eget.net -address.

However - I'm pretty sure that this is a browser feature and not an problem with the vBulletin package. Otherwise all would have the problem.

Hasse

Comment

Help with loggin in

I went into my laptop and copied the address from the log in page to the internet tool site and said allow. I still was not allowed in. I finally requested my password as if I had forgotten it, then was allowed in on my PC and changed it, went to the eget.net page and copied that address to be allowed. I finally have gotten in. This never has happened with anyone else's websites - and I spend most of my waking hours on the computer. I think something is lacking in your programming that other sites have included that allows you to copy the address from the log in page. And yes I have internet explorer. I don't think it should be necessary to have umpteen browsers installed to use the internet. They should all work with anyone's website no matter what browser is being used.

Comment

I use Netscape 7.1 and never log out. Have no problems getting into the Forum and I check it several times a day.

June
                    June

Comment

Help with logging in

I never log out either - and I have no problem on the PC. I never could log in on my laptop. You can't log out until you can first log in!

Comment

Originally posted by Roberta Stepan View Post
                        I went into my laptop and copied the address from the log in page to the internet tool site and said allow. I still was not allowed in. I finally requested my password as if I had forgotten it, then was allowed in on my PC and changed it, went to the eget.net page and copied that address to be allowed. I finally have gotten in. This never has happened with anyone else's websites - and I spend most of my waking hours on the computer. I think something is lacking in your programming that other sites have included that allows you to copy the address from the log in page. And yes I have internet explorer. I don't think it should be necessary to have umpteen browsers installed to use the internet. They should all work with anyone's website no matter what browser is being used.
                        I understand that the first one thinks of when having problems is that "there must be something wrong with the website". This is why Finlander is built up upon a commercial package which is in use on thousands and thousands of forums all over the world. 100%-ly the same code. The software package has a very, very good reputation as one of the best and most secure forum packages. - If there would be a structural error in the login procedure and in the cookie management it would have been taken care of by the US company doing the development.

And yes - I agree that all browsers should work with all websites. Likewise - the fact is - they don't and have never done so and probably will never do. Actually if it was so there would not be any possibility or need to market many different browsers. Even the same browser/browser version on different machines may function differently because of how the user has set up his/her workstation and security.

I myself use one browser 99% of the time. When noticing that a page I jumped to doesn't work as I expected I try it on the second or third browser - if I really want to browse the page. Very often another browser will work. I myself also dumped Explorer several years ago since it often was the source to many of my browsr problems. This is the way I work, even though I have been working with Internet and solutions around Internet since the days of Arpanet - one of the predecessors and have seen browsers and technologies come and go - and consider myself something of a "power user".

Finlander forum requires that cookies can be set properly - if not you're in trouble. Most websites try to save cookies to save some information of your browsing history for the next time you visit the site - but often do not require that the cookies were saved and can function even though the cookies weren't saved. - Because of security considerations a discussion forum must be able to properly save the information.

Nevertheless, I'm truly sorry that you are having problems using the forum.

Comment

Working...
                        X