The languages of the forum - Forumpråken - Forumin kielet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Language dilemma

In a perfect world, we would understand all the languages, and thus, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. There isn't any "right" answer here. Having said that, I really don't think having only English would be feasible, as we wouldn't receive the historical information that we are seeking from those who hold it. For every word that is submitted in Swedish or in Finnish, somehow I am receiving information that I would not otherwise receive. Perhaps some of it will eventually be translated OR perhaps I will eventually learn to speak Swedish and Finnish. Which do you think is more likely?

Deb

Comment

No to New Finnish language forum.

Keep t he Finlander as English and Swedish
      Dorothy Faulkner

Comment

Before I joined the Finlander list I had only one list to turn to that could cover my interests. In that list (suku) the language used is finnish, even if swedish can be used finnish is the language in practise, since most members first language is finnish. I don´t understand more finnish than a word here and there. Still I stayed with the list and checked the messages because there where information that I could understand, like names and places. If anything seemed to relate to my interests I could ask a question in my own language and would get a reply from someone in my own language. I did get useful information this way. Very interesting information and help that I wouldn´t have gotten any other way. I had already tried the swedish forums without any luck at all. The emigrant forums would have been of no help to me either

My conclusion is the same as Debbies:

For every word that is submitted in Swedish or in Finnish, somehow I am receiving information that I would not otherwise receive." Although for me it would be (english and finnish.)

Gita

Comment

Working...
        X