Norden newspaper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norden newspaper

Raivaaja had a story about Erik Rune Hermans, editor of Norden, the only Finnish-Swedish newspaper printed in Swedish outside of Finland. The newspaper has had four editors: Edward Antell, 27 years; Otto Gullmes, 29 years; Theodore Anderson, 8 years and Erik Hermans, 44 years. Two journalists from Finland were in New York recently to interview and film a documentary about the newspaper. Norden celebrates its 110th anniversary this October and the documentary will probably be shown in Finland at that time.

Mr. Hermans and I have known each other a number of years and from time to time I have contributed items for his newspaper. There is one article he would like from me, the story of my life, which he wants to publish!

June
    June

Norden editor Edward Antell

Edward Antell is listed in the 1900 and 1910 censuses as the son-in-law of Axel Hornborg, an agent for the Finnish Steamship Company in New York. June Pelo has noted that he was the editor of "Norden" for 27 years. I am curious what years are included in this tenure as editor.

Comment

Edward J. Antell became editor of "Finska Amerikanaren" in the latter part of 1897 and continued in that capacity into 1924. The name of the paper was changed to Norden after he left.
      June

Comment

Thank you, June, for this information. It is just one of the "side items" that interested me. I also have another item about which I am curious and that is the Hedman Hornborg Private Bank. Elsa Hornborg, Axel Hornborg's daughter and Edward Antell's sister-in-law, worked at this bank. Again I am curious about the time frame of its existence.

Walfrid

Comment

Other than the article I sent about Norden, which mentions Edward Antell, I don't know anything more about him or the Hornberg family. But if you post a query about what you would like to know, perhaps someone can find more info. for you about them. I googled them, but didn't find anything.
          June

Comment

I contacted Erik Hermans, current editor of Norden, and this is his statement:

Edward Antell became editor of the Finnish Americans in May 1897th
            The Nordic countries were published in January 1897th. A couple of people had edited the magazine
            during the first weeks.
            The company Finnish Americans in Worcester Mass.., Was sold in 1899 to
            businessman Axel Hornberg, which 1902 in turn sold the company to his daughter Anna, who
            was married to Edward Antell. A new corporation, The Finnish American Inc.,
            formed in late 1923, which then took over the ownership of Anna Antell. Edward
            Antell, who was a very good journalist, ceased as editor in March 1924.
            Three other people, including Anna Antell, was later in a couple of years tf
            editors of the magazine.
            In 1926 Otto Gullmes from Lappfjärd newspaper's editor. He remained
            to 1950. He was followed by Ingmar Håkans from Närpes to 1952. After
            he became Theodore Anderson from Munsala Scandinavia editor until 1960. he
            followed in turn by Närpesbon Anna Elise Mannberg to 1962, when current
            Editor Erik R. Herman (also Närpes) took office. He celebrates the 50th anniversary of
            July 2012 as Nordic editor.
            I may mention that when the newspaper Scandinavia was founded in 1896 in Worcester were all
            founding members Närpesbor - except one who was home from Ruotsinpyhtää in
            Eastern Uusimaa.
            June Pelo
            Senior Contributor
            Last edited by June Pelo; 09-02-12, 03:16.
            June

Comment

Working...
            X