This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does "talko" mean

Back home we used to participate in talko every now and then. Sometimes, as an example, when a neighbour started to build a house or a shed neighbours did the concrete foundation structure on talko. I guess the word isn't familiar to many of you over in America...

I found this text partly describing the "talko" phenomena from a speach held in a UN seminar.

Over the years, the international community has come to understand that volunteerism is not uniquely a one-way street running north to south. We are learning to combine the strengths of international and domestic volunteers of all nationalities. Together they share skills for the betterment of communities. Volunteers work in service functions but also contribute informally and spontaneously through mutual aid and self-help initiatives.
    Many people, both in the north and the south, might not be aware of the various forms of volunteerism in their home countries. They might not realize that volunteerism is, in fact, deeply imbedded in national cultures through traditions of caring and sharing, even if it is not recognized as volunteering in the formal sense. Volunteers -- call them what you may -- can be good neighbours who join in to dig wells, fix roads, repair schools and build homes. They help those in need in a spirit of trust and reciprocity.
    Such reciprocal relationships are alive and well in LDCs. In Rwanda, the word is dufatanye. In Tanzania, it is harambe. In Bangladesh it is known as kela. Mutual aid is present in other cultures as well. In the Andes, they speak of minga. In Finland, work for the common good in communities is called talko. On the other end of the globe, the Maori people in New Zealand call it whanaungatanga. It means bringing people together and working like a family.

I could have named the database "The Gedcom Whanaungatanga", but "The Gedcom Talko" seemed better...

Talkoo

In Finland we know that word as talkoo. With two o letter. It has been very common method to get people to do some work without any payment.

Usally the collector offers a dinner or something else to eat to working people.

Comment

Talko and talkoo

A small correction and clarification to the previous.

Talko is the Swedish spelling of the word, talkoo is the Finnish spelling - so therefore we have two ways of spelling this word in Finland! Finland is a country with two national languages and some words are used in both but may have somewhat different ways of spellings.

Comment

New information to me. I have born in eastern Finland. I haven't heard ever word talko.

Comment

In America it is called a bee. Looking in dictionary... a social meeting for work on behalf of a neighbor or a charitable object; a contest, as a spelling bee.
          The neighbors all gathered to raise a barn,house,windmill and of course the thrashing bee for the crops. The ladies gathered for their quilting.
          In my area a big meal was always served which included Meat, potatoes, gravy,vegetable and of lots of pie and cookies

Belva
          Northern Wisconsin

Comment

talko talkoo bee

...a rose by any other name.....

....enongh of words, action speaks louder than.....

Let's all do what we can!
            May you receive the gifts of the Sampo but watch out for Louhi!

Comment

Re: Talkoo

Originally posted by ilkant
              In Finland we know that word as talkoo. With two o letter. It has been very common method to get people to do some work without any payment.

-- "Talko" was some new information for me, too. But also the Finnish word Talkoo sounds quite unfamiliar to me.

Never heard it used in singular - always in plural: "Talkoot". Eeven when it is question about just one happening. Also used as "ollaan talkoissa, mennään talkoihin" - be in talkoot, we go to talkoot." - maybe that's a southern karelian way (from my mother's side of family) to say it?

Elias Lönnrot Finnish Swedish dictionary again only knows it in singular "Talkoo" :
              gästabudstillställning för arbetsfolk, som utan annan ersättning än välfagnaden i mat och dryck verkställa ett större arbete, såsom högbergning, skörd, stocksläpning, vedkörning, spånad m. m. efter hvilket arbete "talkoo" benämndes - heinä-, elo-, hirsi-, kehruutalkoo o.s.v.;nisu-, peruna-, marjatalkoo.
              pitää talkoota.

Lönnrot also gives the words "Talkoos" and "Talkos, talkot" .

The important point of talkoo-work is, that the people who gather together for some bigger task to work it together, are provided with food and drink, but given no money for the work.
              --
              hopefully the tradition of Talkoot will always be alive in Finland!

Comment

I have a ged to contribute, how do I do that?

Hi Hasse,
                My grandfather was born in Kauhajoki, my grandmother in Saarijarvi.
                I've done research on the web, in Ohio and in Finland last summer.

I'd like to submit the ged to the database and be able to access other pedigrees.

Thanks,
                Jennifer Ripley

Grandfather--Urho Humalainen
                Grandmother--Jenny Piispanen

Comment

GedCom on Talko

Jennifer,

If you click on Talko at the top of your screen, you'll get this message:

Welcome to the GedcomTalko Project

The database is behind password. A username and password is distributed to those who have submitted their gedcom material to Finlander and who have been accepted as members. If you want to submit your gedcom, and wish to gain full read access to the database (or if you don't know how to generate gedcom from your genealogy software but would want to submit gedcom)
                  please drop a line to me at this email address: Hasse.Nygard*e-brev.nu

Join us in creating a database to aid us all in our research by submitting your current gedcom and resubmitting your material regularly when you have done larger modifications to your data. Talko/talkoo -spirit!

Hasse

It may take a while to get your password because Hasse has to add your request into his busy schedule. But be patient.
                  June

Comment

Talko

Originally posted by JRipley View Post
                    Hi Hasse,
                    My grandfather was born in Kauhajoki, my grandmother in Saarijarvi.
                    I've done research on the web, in Ohio and in Finland last summer.

I'd like to submit the ged to the database and be able to access other pedigrees.

Thanks,
                    Jennifer Ripley

Grandfather--Urho Humalainen
                    Grandmother--Jenny Piispanen
                    Generally one can join Talko if one submits the own research as a gedcom 5.5 ANSI -file.

I usually require that every new submission should add to the total value of the database, which means that I reserve the right to check the submitted material before deciding wheather to grant access and upload the received material to the database.

Since this is a collaboration project, totally non commercial with many submissions of material collected during decades by people who have invested both time and money into their material, I thus assume that people wanting to join will agree to share their total material. I have given promises to the big submitters that I will grant access only to people who themselves want to contribute to the common good - not only want to benefit from others researches.

Send your material to the email address in the "Contact us" link at the bottom of this page. Remember to select the option "include references" when you export your material. Also - Talko takes care of the "private filtering" as long as the living individual has a birth year recorded. Thus nothing more than the surname and initials of the given names will show fr living persons.

Hasse

Comment

Hello, Hasse -
                      I have been a member of the Finland Forum for several years. In that time I have added to my data-base enough
                      names to warrant generating a Gedcom File. Can you advise me as to the mechanics/details how to join the "TALKO" forum? Thanks.

Bruce Matson (valtsu)
                      Mount Vernon, WA

Comment

Working...
                      X