Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Translation request

Hi,

I have a page of Finnish text that I tried to translate, but I am not doing well at it using Google Translate.

Would anyone be interested in translating it for me? It is about 2 paragraphs of text and it is on a jpeg image.

Thanks,

Darrell Kaikkonen
    Attached Files

Translation as you wished

Hi,
    feel free to ask for any explanations, hope the translation is understandable.
    Yours,
    Lilli

Poropudas: family Poropudas

Paavo Veteläinen a.k.a. Poropudas (1767) moved to live on the Poropudas estate. Paavo left the estate Kaikkonen of Kurkijärvi, situated in Ylikitka on the waterfront of Luonselkä (selkä means about the same as lake), The area is at present known as Lohiranta. The house was situated about where the estates of Kiviniemi or Pajukangas used to be. In church records (rippikirja) the number of the estate varies, for Kiviniemi in the church records 1857-1866 has the number 14 (number 21 has been cancelled) and Poropudas has the number 21 (14 cancelled). Presumably the famili Poropudas has lived in houses Poropudas 21 and Kiviniemi 17. From here some of the family Poropudas moved to Kurenala in Nyynäjä. (Paavo Poropudas 1839-1902). Some moved into America and were known as Kaikkonen (for instance Albin Kaikkonen 1901-1970, Maria Poropudas 1836-1900), soome moved to Ranua, soome from Pudasjärvi to Oulu, from Oulu to Raahe (Pattijoki) and to Pori also three brother moved onto the waterfront by the Artctic Ocean (Ittelin, Sigfrid Kustaa 185?, Ittelin, Johan Fredrik 1852). Elias moved (1834) moved to Kemijärvi and his son Albin (1879) to America. Families living by the Arctic Sea were known by the surname Ittelin. The origin of the surname Kaikkonen in America is not known, since they may have got their name from the house Kaikkonen in Kurkijärvi or the house Kaikkonen in Suonnankylä. There were other families by the name Veteläinen in Suonnansaari (saari=island) and on the main land. According to church records Rk 1836-1842 Kiviniemi estate was inhabited by the family Määttä, Rk 1843-1849 the family living there was called Ronkainen and again in Rk 1857-1866 Kiviniemi. People known by the name Kiviniemi have also started to call themselves Poropudas. Abram Pauli Kiviniemi (1818-1892, born in Lehtoniemi, wife Loviisa 1819) had a son Juho Aapo (1874), whose sons were known as Poropudas (J Felix 1901, Antti 1902, Eemil 1906 and Heikki 1908). The present families Poropuds in Yli-Kitka stem from Kiviniemi, since family Veteläinen-Poropudas has moved from Vasaraper to various places in northern Finland and abroad.

Vasaraperä: Multila: family Veteläinen

Multila estate was situated in Lohilahti on the waterfront of Lohiranta. Johan Veteläinen, son of Korhonen (1784) had a son Samuel Veteläinen-Korhonen (1822) moved from Kurkijärvi to Vasaraperä to the house Multila. Samuel married Kaisa Matero (1814). Kaisa was probably born in the hous Multila. The family moved to Alakiiminki in the year 1862. There were children also from the previous marriage of Kaisa Matero with Heikki Heikkinen-Meskus (1809).

Vasaraperä: Lepola: families Majava / Linjakumpu

Estate Lepola was situated in Vasaraperä, on the norther waterfront of Lohiranta. Antti Majava (1855) lived in Vasaraperä, Lepola 5. From the same stem comes also the family Linjakumpu in Vasaraperä.

Rippikirja also Rk in the text: church records listing people living the same house in order to mark down when they've attended communion. Also including information of health etc.

Comment

Hi Lilli,

That was my mother's name Lillian. Thank you very much for your excellent translation. It is very clear and gives me a very nice understanding of that text. My translation was not good at all, so I am very grateful that you took the time to help me out. I will save this to my family cd and it will help my relatives to know more about their ancestors.
      I don't have any questions at the moment, but if I do later, I will ask.
      Thanks again,
      Darrell

Comment

Hi Lilli,

I have one question about "From here some of the family Poropudas moved to Kurenala in Nyynäyä." Does Kurenala refer to Kurenalus situated in the center of Pudasjärvi? Or is Nyynäyä a different village or location?
        Thanks,
        Darrell

Comment

Hi Darrel,
          I googled a bit and found out that the house Nyynäjä was in Kurenala / Kurenalusta in the center of Pudasjärvi. It seems that the previous owners before Poropudas were by the name Nynäs, thus the name. As it happens, the house burned down only last May. The local library functioned in Nyynäjä in the years 1878-1879.

The pudasjärvi net pages show pictures of the house:

Regards,
          Lilli
          Hasse
          Admin
          Administrator
          Last edited by Hasse; 08-04-11, 22:49. Reason: pic location

Comment

Hi Lilli,
            Thanks for sending me those links to the photos. It is nice to have them to add to my family history. I appreciate your kind help and I hope I didn't take up too much of your time.
            Thanks again, you have been a great help to me.
            Darrell

Comment

Working...
            X