Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Text form newspaper to understand

Hello,

Because of big support of members of this forum a note about my grand-grandmother have been found in VAPAA SANA newspaper
    https://digi.kansalliskirjasto.fi/sa...Paulam%C3%A4ki
    Simmilar note was posted in POJHANMAA a day later.
    https://digi.kansalliskirjasto.fi/sa...Paulam%C3%A4ki

I'd like to ask for support in understanding this note. Automatic tranlation gives vague and ambigious results.

My goal is to find any traces of the daughter of Maria Paulamäki.

Regards
    Wojtek
    Attached Files

The both announcements say:

"Announcement.

There will be a meeting of Kauhava municipality's temporary pauper's care board in the common room of the church village [i.e. the part of town where the church is] next Thursday the 24th day of this month 12 o'clock, where the self-sufficient's wife Maria Paulamäki shall be entered into full care until the first of February and other matters relating to pauper's care shall be discussed, if they arise.

- Juho Kivelä"

It was typical that the same text would circulate in several newspapers. It would seem Maria was poor enough that she (and her family?) had to go to full care, which heavily implies she was put to the local poor house or house of some local benefactor.

Comment

Thanks a lot for explanation. At that time Maria Paulamäki was going to have a baby. According to available information her daughter, Helena, was born 24-07-1910. The issue is that it is not known where Helena was born so her birth record is not known. Is it possible to trace if Maria Paulamäki still lived in Kauhava until her pregnancy termination (childbirth)? The clou is to find the parish. Written statement from Vaasa parish informs, that Maria Paulamäki moved into orthodox church on 01-10-1910 but there is no mention about her child. So Helena wasn't christianed in Vaasa. Maria Paulamäki married Vassilij Fivek on 09-01-2011 in ortodox church, but still there is no mention about child. I've checked on-line available orthodox books until 1916.

Any idea how to find birth record of Helena Fivek/Fiwek vel Helena Paulamaki?

Regards
      Wojtek

Comment

That's a good question. I do not know much about tracing people in the Orthodox faith, since the vast majority of people were Lutheran, including all my ancestors so far. If she converted from Lutheranism, it might be possible to find the baptism records in Kauhava parish books or follow Maria in their books until 1910. Unfortunately those books are not digitized yet, so you'd have to order that information from the parish.

Comment

Fortunately these Orthodox book from Finland which I'm interested in are digitized. Becaue in my childhood I've been forced at school to learn Russian I can still read and understand it. This is in opposite to Finnish which I can read but not understand.
          A question. Was usually any writen statement from Municipality's Temporary Pauper's Care Board preserved in any form? Or any other material concerning local Poor House?
          I know only little about former Finnish habits and rules so it is difficult to me even to formulate correct queries.

Regards
          Wojtek

Comment

Unfortunately I think usually these records were held by the parish, but there's rarely any sort of consistency to what records have been made and saved. Additionally, even if they were saved they are not available online. Looking for them in Astia also yields no results in provincial archives. There's sometimes notes about that sort of thing in church accounts, but I've mostly taken advantage of those records for research in the 1700s to fill in gaps of other records.

Comment

Thanks. I've just drop e-mail into Kauhava parish. Hope it will give a result.

Comment

Working...
              X