Finnish citizenship after 1917

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finnish citizenship after 1917

I wonder how Finnish citizenship was set up just after Finnish Independence in 1917.
    How it was determined? There were numerous people from every part of Russian Empire. They were not Russian, but Estonian, Lithuanian, Latvian, Polish etc. What was their status? What was the status of they children?
    I'm trying to understand these issues to track the history of my family in Finland.

Any support & suggestions will be appreciated.

Regards
    Wojtek

Normally people living in the Grand Duchy of Finland had Finnish citizenship before independence. So people who were not born in Finland to Finnish father may have applied citizenship from the Finnish Senate and kept it after independence.

Jaska

Comment

Thanks. It's clear! I've completely forgotten about different status Finland i.e. Grand Duchy of Finland and Poland i.e. Vistula Land (Veikselin aluepiiri) in Russian Empire!
      So the next question is occurring. What was the status of children born in Grand Duchy of Finland from non-Finnish father?

Regards
      Wojtek

Comment

I found the above information, but that's almost all. Just guessing that children followed their father, and consequently got citizenship later, if their father applied and got it.

Jaska

Comment

In the situation of my family I'm (nearly) sure that Father of my Grandmother was NOT Finnish citizen, but no documents are available. Anyway it is documented his wife i.e. Mother of my Grandmother, who was Finnish, died in Finland as a widow and Polish citizen. Also no doubts my Grandmother was born in Grand Duchy of Finland. This is why the whole situation is so interesting.

Regards
          Wojtek

Comment

According to this answer about citizenship before 1917 (in Finnish), women lost their Finnish citizenship, when they married a foreigner.

Jaska

Comment

Thanks. It really helps. Now it's more clear.

The last puzzle piece is status of my Grandmother.
              According to available documents from Poland she was born six months BEFORE marriage. But her birth record haven't been found so far.

Regards
              Wojtek

Comment

Working...
              X