dna Matches Virtanen & Maikkula

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dna Matches Virtanen & Maikkula

I am totally baffled by the number of Finnish dna results that match my maternal aunts who's dna I submitted for testing. I have no idea when, how or where my folks connected with Finnish ancestors. My folks lived mostly in NE Louisiana from the late 1700's forward to 1855, with some out migrations which must have resulted in intermarriage with folks of Finnish descent. Can anyone tell me if the last names Virtanen and Maikkula are common Finnish names? And or there any here researching those names in the US?

Originally posted by telemaque View Post
    I am totally baffled by the number of Finnish dna results that match my maternal aunts who's dna I submitted for testing. I have no idea when, how or where my folks connected with Finnish ancestors. My folks lived mostly in NE Louisiana from the late 1700's forward to 1855, with some out migrations which must have resulted in intermarriage with folks of Finnish descent. Can anyone tell me if the last names Virtanen and Maikkula are common Finnish names? And or there any here researching those names in the US?

Hello!

'Virtanen' has for decades been the most common Finnish surname, although it quite recently was replaced in that position by 'Korhonen'. 'Maikkula' on the other hand is not among the 100 most common names, but it is a very typical Finnish name. Source: http://verkkopalvelu.vrk.fi/Nimipalvelu/default.asp?L=3.

Regards
    Göran Kuhlberg

Comment

Working...
    X