Spelling and Translation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spelling and Translation

Hi there! Wonder if someone can help me out. My Finnish-born mother - who slipped into Swedish from time to time - used to call me "lillun." I'm not sure that's spelled correctly, but phonetically it's pronounced "lil-loon." I think it means "little one." Can anyone confirm the correct spelling (with umlauts, if needed) and the translation? Thanks! Karen Douglas

Lillan is a common nickname used in Swedish for the youngest daughter in the family. Lillen is the maskuline form, used for the youngest boy. There is a beautiful song, "När lillan kom till jorden, det var i maj när göken gol...", translated "when lillan was born it was in May when the cuckoo bird was crowing...".

Gunnar

Comment

Karen:

If your mother was from Österbottten you have got it right, spelling and all. (if there is a correct spellin for dialects). Lillan turns into Lillun in most of the Ostrobothnian Swedish dialects.

Sune

Comment

Thank you!

Thank you, Gunnar and Sune, for your response to my query. My parents were, indeed, from Ostrobothnia, and I am the youngest daughter in the family. Gunnar, I loved the words to that little song - even though I was born in June, and at midnight. (Do cuckoo birds crow at midnight?) Thanks for sharing! Karen

Comment

I don't know if "cuckoo" can be called "crowing". I thougt that was for crows only...

Sune

Comment

No, according to Webster's Dictionary of the English Language cocks crow, and even little babies crow contentedly.

Gunnar

Comment

Working...
            X