Cemeterys in Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cemeterys in Michigan

Where can i find list of cemeteries in Bessemer/ Ironwood area and Ishpeming in MI.Is coming to visit Michigan,Wisconsin and Minnesota in August ,is trying to find some tracks of missing ancestors, the same Kristian Edward Kloo again.Does anybody have information about mine accidents in Marquwtte area? Is looking for Matti Joensuu ( Matt Johnson?) who was reported dead in mine accident in 1904.Passengerlist says he went to Ishpeming in 1900.

Christer

Michigan cemeteries

Christer, I have had good luck with contacting the Gogebic Range Genealogical Society at www.gogebicroots.com and also the city of Ishpeming at 100 East Division Street, Ishpeming, MI 49849-Cemetery. In fact, I just received the location of the grave of my great-uncle today. Hillcrest Cemetery is one in Bessemer, Riverview Cemetery is in Ironwood. I tried a look-up on Kloo on the GRGS site, I am a member, but no results. They were very helpful in doing research for me in the past. Just give them as much information as you can. I did find a Kristian Kloo on Ellis Island arriving from Finland on the SS Nevada 18 Mar 1892, but unfortunately the ships manifest doesn't show correctly. Karen

Comment

Matti Joensuu at Crystal Falls Michigan

Hi Christer,
      26h Matti Joensuu not given Evijärvi unk S 27-3

The above info might be your Matti.
      First is the page number and that he is married. The church had no birthdate for him but recorded he was born in Evijärvi. They did not know when he arrived in America. The church is the Finnish language lutheran church in Crystal Falls.

I will be back to Swenson Wednesday afternoon to complete my proofreading of that same Finnnish church and get the Iron County spreadsheet over to Hasse for delphi. I will look at the information for this guy and get the added info about family, remarks, and so on. This is a project for next year's FinnFest in Marquette Michigan so too bad your trip wasn't a year later

http://www.genealogia.fi/haudat/index4e.htm
      A list of cemeteries in Michigan and elsewhere in America.

Chuck
      granskare
      Registered
      Last edited by granskare; 14-07-04, 06:14.

Comment

Matti Joensuu at CF Michigan

Matti is on page 26 at the top and the only added info for him is that he was confirmed, "yes", received in 1900 and removed to "Suomeen" 1902.
        On the next line is written "wife" with no other data except in remarks where it was written "dead in Finland".

So if he returned to Michigan, it's likely he became a member of a Finnish language church for which I have no access here. The only reason why Swenson has the microfilm for a Finnish language church is that it and the Swedish church merged early on. I understand that the Finnish Heritage Center at Finlandia Univ [better known as Suomi College] has microfilms of church records and it's likely those records will be able to tell you where Matti is buried.
        That's it from Rock Island!
        Chuck

Comment

Finlandia University

Here's a website for the Finnish Heritage Center at Finlandia Univ.
          http://www.finlandia.edu/fahc.html

June
          June

Comment

Marquette mining deaths

I have found a possible source for mining records at the Marquette County Historical Society. They have access to the John M. Longyear Research Library. They have Inspector of Mine Reports for 1889-present. I emailed a contact and will let you know how to go about obtaining records. Karen

Comment

Matti Joensuu

Thank you friends for spending your time with my questions.The age and immigration year for Matti Joensuu fits but his birthplace should be Alajärvi not Evijärvi. Dont know if he went home in 1902 and then back to USA again.The only thing we know for shure is that he died in mineaccident in 1904, so i´m intrested to see what Karen gets from her contact.

Christer

Comment

Matti Joensuu

Here is a fotocopy and scan of the page at Crystal Falls Finnish Lutheran so you can see that Matti must have told them Evijärvi.

If you have an address in America to which I may mail the fotocopy for you, I will be pleased to do so.

Chuck
                Attached Files

Comment

Christer, I heard back from the person at the Longyear Library at the Marquette Historical Museum. Unfortunately, they could not locate any info on the person in question. She said she searched the Mine Reports For Marquette County and Mine Fatalities, without the exact date, she had no success. She suggested you try the Marquette County Clerk at 906-225-8330 to request a death certificate search for him. Unfortunately, with just a year, it could be pricey. She also said with a more complete date, even month and year, they could search newspaper archives. Karen

Comment

Michigan cemeteries

Thank you Karen for your help anyway. I have a meeting with Midge Waters, perhaps some of you knows her,we got common relatives, in Marquette when i visit Michigan in September so i will ask her for a little help with visiting the clerk in Marquette, also check the information i got from Chuck about Crystal Falls.

christer

Comment

Working...
                    X