Old time portraits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old time portraits

I thought it might be fun to share some old-time portraits of our Finnish ancestors. Photography has always been a hobby of mine but soon I hope to make it a profession, hence my interest in this thread.

I have attached a wedding portrait of my grandparents: William Toivo Maijala b.1895, parents from Liminka and Helmie Elizabeth Karhoja b.1897, parents from Kälviä. They were married in Heinola, Leaf Lake Township, Otter Tail County, Minnesota in 1914. This photo has always been my all time favorite of the ones my mother had.

Please share yours!
    Attached Files
    Kevin Paavola
    Orlando Florida

Charles & Minnie Kujansuu

That's how they are listed in the 1920 census where my mother's age is given as 11/12

This image is one I had made from a metal oval shaped picture that I saw when I was young. It was handcolored but I have no idea who in the family has possession of it.

She came from somewhere near Alahärmä, born Huhtala said my mother and he is a bit of a mystery.

His immigration fi info showed a passport issued in Kristiinakaup. - he is listed as Karl and on the passenger list, he is Karl J. Kujansuu, born in 1877. A friend checked the church record down at Kristinestad and could not find him so he was just living down there when he got his passport in 1901.

Chuck
    Attached Files

Comment

How about these guys?
      Does anybody happen to know them?
      I guess 21 means 1921.
      Probably Vancouver Island.
      Torbjörn
      Attached Files
      kpaavola
      Registered
      Last edited by kpaavola; 09-01-05, 20:31.

Comment

Hope that tree didn't fall!!

(I resized your image to keep it to a size that Hasse prefers, ~600 pixels wide.)
        Kevin Paavola
        Orlando Florida

Comment

Well OK, How Do I do it Then?

Hello Kevin and all

Nice thread you have started here and I want to send a piccie of my grandfather Matts Sundberg and his then fiancee Mary Louisa Spence to this thread. I have it saved on my "desktop" but, excuse ignorance, where do I go from here?? Cannot see any "attach" buttons, so need help!!!

Gwenda

Comment

Hi Gwenda,
            When you hit "post reply" and the new screen appears, after you type your message in the large box, look to towards the bottom, just above the "Submit Reply" button. There, you'll see a "Browse" button in the "Attach file" section. Click the browse button and navigate to where the file is located on your computer.

Please double check to make sure the size isn't too overwhelming. As a general rule, a landscape oriented pic fits well at ~600 pixels wide. Portrait oriented ~600 high.

hth,
            Kevin Paavola
            Orlando Florida

Comment

Thanks Kevin, Here Goes

Hopefully, this reasonably computer literate, but not completely so, member will now be able to attach the photograph of my grandfather and grandmother as mentioned a couple of messages ago.

Fingers crossed.
              Gwenda

Comment

a tip

Sorry Gwenda. It didn't seem to work. I checked the pending attachments page and it wasn't there.

One thing I've noticed in the past, though I only had it happen once, is if you preview your message with an attachment, the picture won't show. I just boldly attach then submit.
                Kevin Paavola
                Orlando Florida

Comment

Think I`ll Give Up

Thanks for the tips Kevin. I tried them all and didn`t do a "preview" but guess my grandpa and grandma just don`t want to be shown. Sorry.
                  Gwenda

Comment

Send it to me and I'll post it for you.
                    Kevin Paavola
                    Orlando Florida

Comment

Here's Gwenda's photo

from original post, Gwenda wrote: Nice thread you have started here and I want to send a piccie of my grandfather Matts Sundberg and his then fiancee Mary Louisa Spence to this thread.
                      Attached Files
                      Kevin Paavola
                      Orlando Florida

Comment

Hopefully this will work. Attaching a photo of my grandparents taken in 1904. Gabriel Mikonpoika Sulasalmi holding my aunt, Inga, and Anna Lovisa Andersdotter Långsjö and my aunt Cecilia, standing. This was taken in Michigan.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I'm feeling giddy with success. Attached is a much later photo of my Sulasalmi grandparents. Karen
                          Attached Files

Comment

Another

This is a portrait of my father's father (Henrik Sanfred Josephsson Paavola b.September 25, 1883 in Kaustinen), mother (Silla Maria Karlsdr Wiitala b. September 18, 1881 in Lohtaja) and my father's oldest sister, Sylvia b.1906 who is still living. This was taken in Iron Belt shortly after they arrived in the US. They came from Kokkola where my grandfather was a policeman.
                            Attached Files
                            Kevin Paavola
                            Orlando Florida

Comment

Picture of my great aunt Alina Anderson and her son Rudolph.
                              Text on backside of the picture :1934 Alina and Rudolph 10 years,
                              picture was sent to my grandpa in 1934.Picture probably taken in New York because they lived there.

christer
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X