Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing family history

Hi,
    I am in the process of writing my parents story as young immigrants from the Swedish speaking part of Finland.( Korsnas and Maxmo.).
    They came separately in 1928 and 1929 to Vancouver, B.C.
    After they were married they visited relatives in Rodchester, Wash. I have come across a liquor permit dated Dec.1936 issued at Centralia , Wash. Can anyone tell me why they would need such a permit?
    I am also trying to remember a Swedish endearment that was said to me as I child, It was something like "liten lisvenen" not sure of the spelling. I know that liten is small, but can't find the other word in the dictionary.
    Thanks
    Dorothy Faulkner

lisvenen

could be

lis = also little
    venen = vännen = friend

but why little two times?

little little friend
    Alf

Comment

Liquor Permit

Hi Dorothy,
      A liquor permit is needed in the USA to sell liquor for retail purposes. Did they own a bar or liquor store?

Denise

Comment

Writing Family History

Thanks Alf for the translation. Not sure why the two littles, but it sounds nice and seems to have rhythm to it.

Denise, My parents wouldn't have been selling liquor retail. It would be for their own consumption while they were visiting their relatives. I was wondering if this was connected to the earlier prohibition law or maybe it was a method of liquor control in the state of Washington in 1936 .

Thanks
        Dorothy Faulkner

Comment

Liquor

Hi,
          Maybe this site will help. Prohibition ended in 1933, but was left to each state as to how to regulate sales.
          http://www.liq.wa.gov/releases/general_report.asp
          Denise

Comment

Liten

i know this is a long shot, but you gave us very little to go on about the endearment. Here is a verse from a popular hymn. It has been taught to children to say as evening prayer for many generations:

Gud som haver barnen kär,
            se till mig som liten är.
            Vart jag mig i världen vänder,
            står min lycka i Guds händer.
            Lyckan kommer, lyckan går.
            Du förbliver Fader vår.

God who loves the children
            look after me who is little.
            Where ever I may turn in the world
            my happiness/luck remains in God's hands.
            The happiness will come, happiness will go.
            You remain our Father.

I admit that this is very far from the two words you mentioned, but it is very probable that this text has been passed on to you when you were a child. Most of us who are middle aged or older have been taught this little rhyme as soon as we learned to speak.

Sune

Comment

Prayer

Sune,

My father and most of my relatives all knew that prayer and said they recited it every night at bedtime. I've seen it painted on plates, etc. in Scandinavian gift shops.

June
              June

Comment

Working...
              X