Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eurovision Song Contest 2007 in Helsinki

Hi all,

Some of you may remember that Finland won the Eurovision Song Contest last year, first time victory for Finland. So this year Finland has to arrange the contest. The time is near, semifinal will be held on Thursday 10th May and the final on Saturday 12th, both at 22:00 Finnish time (20:00 GMT, 3:00 pm EST).

You may read about the contest and watch the participants on these websites:
    YLE - Eurovision
    Eurovision Song Contest site

You may not be a fan of this kind of music (whatever it is this year...), but the final show has always represented something of the arranging country's own culture.

See the calendar details at Eurovision Song Contest site about live webcast or possible non-European tv channels.

Have fun!
    Jaska

Eurovision used to be brilliant
    I watched it faithfully each year
    But whooah, it's got too political
    Oh dear oh dear oh dear!!!
    Cyprus, Greece, the answer's clear
    Baltic states obvious too
    Glad it's come to Finland this year
    But for the first year in 30 boo hoo!
    I'm not watching, I've had enough
    Don't need any more , no way
    I'm off to a 60th birthday party
    I'll enjoy that much more, oh yay!!

Not bothering to tape it either. Sorry Jaska. For the past 30 years I have watched Eurovision faithfully and have even put one or two comments on Finlander about it, but I think Brits have had enough - even with the marvellous Terry Wogan to keep us going.!!
    Gwenda

Comment

That voting part should not be taken too seriously
      Indeed Turkey is always on top in Germany due to Turkish immigrants, countries that were part of former Yugoslavia vote each other, former Soviet republics have enough Russians to keep Russia high etc.
      And majority of the music is complete rubbish in whatever standard

But since 1994, when Riverdance appeared during the interval in Dublin contest, I have waited for that interval performance, if I have watched the contest at all (not too regularly). This year they'll have something by Apocalypse, a Finnish band of cellists playing heavy metal. I remember one of them from his early teens from the local music school concerts.
      The postcard videos between performances give a humorous view of various aspects of Finnish life.

Maybe the non-Europeans are interested in the contest as such, who knows.
      Anyway, now they are held in Helsinki - the only reason I informed about it.

Gwenda, enjoy the party!

Jaska

Comment

I'm weakening!!! I'm going to set the video before I go out tonight to tape Eurovision - will watch it tomorrow, although by then I will probably know the result. Not that I am an addict or anything??? But it is coming from Finland, and I am quarter Finnish, so must be patriotic!
        Gwenda

Comment

I have just sat through a fast forwarded version of Eurovision this morning, Sunday, and enjoyed most of it, especially the interval act. What on earth was the pink lady all about, and what was she on? Very strange experience, that! Once again though, no comment about the political voting.
          Gwenda

Comment

Pink Lady ?

She is a well-known Finnish comedian Krisse Salminen.

She pretends to be a perfect blonde who sure KNOWS that she is THE beauty queen of the whole wide world. She is something like Borat

Juha
            visit my site
            www.varola.fi
            or my blog
            http://juhansuku.blogspot.com/

Sorry, only in Finnish

Comment

Ok Juha

I did think she was funny, but think I lost something in the translation. BUT who's Borat????? Glad Eurovision is another 12 months away.
              Gwenda

Comment

Working...
              X