Story Tellers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Story Tellers

I posted this on the Net about 15 months ago and have had requests to post it again.

June
    Story Tellers

We are the chosen. My feelings are that in each family there is one who seems called to find the ancestors.

To put flesh on their bones and make them live again....to tell the family story and to feel that somehow they know and approve. To me, doing genealogy is not a cold gathering of facts, but instead, breathing life into all who have gone before.

We are the storytellers of the tribe. All tribes have one. We have been called as it were by our genes. Those who have gone before cry out to us:
    Tell our story. So, we do. In finding them, we somehow find ourselves.

How many graves have I stood before now and cried? I have lost count.
    How many times have I told the ancestors, "You have a wonderful family.....you would be proud of us"?

How many times have I walked up to a grave and felt somehow there was love there for me? I cannot say.
    It goes beyond just documenting facts. It goes to who am I and why do I do the things I do. It goes to seeing a cemetery about to be lost forever to weeds and indifference and saying I can't let this happen.

The bones here are bones of my bone and flesh of my flesh. It goes to doing something about it. It goes to pride in what our ancestors were able to accomplish. How they contributed to what we are today. It goes to respecting their hardships and losses, their never giving in or giving up, their resoluteness to go on and build a life for their family.

It goes to deep pride that they fought to make and keep us a Nation. It goes to a deep and immense understanding that they were doing it for us....that we might be born who we are. That we might remember them.

So we do. With love and caring and scribing each fact of their existence, because we are them and they are us. So, as a scribe called, I tell the story of my family. It is up to that one called in the next generation to answer the call and take their place in the long line of family storytellers.

That is why I do my family genealogy, and that is what calls those young and old to step up and put flesh on the bones.

- Author unknown
    June

Hi June,

I have another poem that I find very inspirational. I usually enclose it whenever I share some of my tree.

I think I found it on FinnGen. You may have been the one who posted it there originally.

Roy

"ANCESTORS"

What's in a name?
    The talented poet asked.
    Look deep - listen:
    The pulse of our ancestors.
    The heartbeat of nations past
    Land,
    Language,
    Faith.

Look into a name.
    What do you see?
    Letters only?
    Look deeper.
    See the people
    Who lived that name.
    Not letters - but flesh and blood.
    Flesh to our flesh.
    Blood to our blood.
    Faith to our faith.
    Ancestors.

You who bore my name.
    Were your thoughts passed to me?
    Do I dream your dreams?
    The sun you saw I see.
    The moon plays for us both.
    Days are days.
    Years are years.
    But centuries separate us.

You who lived centuries ago
    With my name.
    Did you see me then?
    You have not left this earth!
    You live in my name.
    You live in me.
    I give you earthly immortality.

My eyes see a different land.
    My ears hear different sounds.
    But we worship in unison.
    The God of your youth.

My faith you have given me.
    The God who watched over you
    Watches over me.
    Centuries collapse as Faith unites.

Leave you, my ancestor?
    I could never leave you
    Without leaving myself.
    I take pride in you.
    The soil of your homeland
    Rests in my heart.
    Your native language
    Is the melody of your dreams.

I look into your name
    And see myself.

----written by W.H. Zoschak

Comment

Ancestors

Hi Roy,

You are 100% correct. I did post that on Finngen about 5 years ago. I hope others will like it, too.

I'm so glad you finally posted something - it's good to see your name. Hope we'll hear more from you.

June
      June

Comment

Hi June and Roy!

I like them both. They describe in a moving way the way I feel about this activity. My interest in genealogy goes far beyond just collecting data.
        Still I believe it´s not that way for everyone. I believe that some genealogists are more explicitly drawn to the collecting part.

Gita

Comment

Working...
        X