SS Edmund Fitzgerald

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SS Edmund Fitzgerald

A Finlander sent me this website about the famous ship that sank in Lake Superior. There was a song written about it. And there's a story about a Finlander named Riippa who was aboard the ship:
    http://www.ssefo.com/index.htm Click on Past Connections at the left, and then click on the second story to read more. The bell from the ship was recovered and is in a museum in Michigan.

June
    Attached Files
    June

Edmund Fitzgerald

I was living in Marquette, Michigan (on the shore of Lake Superior in the Upper Peninsula) when the ship sunk. I remember it well.

I seem to recall that in the water, the ship stood about 29 ft high. The waves during that storm were over 30 ft high! It seems so unusual for an inland lake. Lake Superior was (don't know if it still is) a very clean lake. When we were kids, we'd scoop handfuls of crystal clear water from the beach and drink it.

Thanks for sharing this, June!
    Kevin Paavola
    Orlando Florida

Comment

Lake Superior

Have you ever tried to swim in the Lake? It is very cold even in the summer. We used to drive along the shore of the UP on our way to Minnesota and often stopped to wade in the water, brrrr.

June
      June

Comment

swimming in Lake Superior

Oh, yes! There were times as kids the water was so cold it would turn our white Finnish legs pink!
        Kevin Paavola
        Orlando Florida

Comment

Working...
        X