Translation help, please??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Translation help, please??

This is from a marriage I found on HisKi, and refers to my GGGF's occupation.
    "Afsh: Und: Offic: v:6:te Last Equ:" and his name is Johan Magnus Hopp.

My GGGM's occupation is listed as "tj:jgfru:". I was able to learn that jgfru: was an abbreviation for a young maiden, but what does the tj mean? Her name was Fredrika Sofia Gronqvist. The marriage took place in Helsingfors in 1849.

Also, why are neither of them using patronymic names?

Thank you to anyone who can help me!!!

Arlis J.

Originally posted by Arlis J. View Post
    This is from a marriage I found on HisKi, and refers to my GGGF's occupation.
    "Afsh: Und: Offic: v:6:te Last Equ:" and his name is Johan Magnus Hopp.

My GGGM's occupation is listed as "tj:jgfru:". I was able to learn that jgfru: was an abbreviation for a young maiden, but what does the tj mean? Her name was Fredrika Sofia Gronqvist. The marriage took place in Helsingfors in 1849.

Also, why are neither of them using patronymic names?

Thank you to anyone who can help me!!!

Arlis J.
    Afsh: should be Afsk: eller Afskedad (nowadays written avskedad) meaning retired
    Und: Offic: eller Under Officer is pretty much the same in English
    The last bit is the unit he was serving in, but there I cannot help you, maybe someone else can? Or I could possibly dig it up, if needed.
    tj: stands for tjenst meaning she was in service or employment as a maid or somesuch.
    About the patronymic names, when you look at the HisKi records, you'll see that some use patronymics, some don't. There was no such requirement and it was up to the priest or scribe. In some parishes where patronymics were commonly used, missing patronyme may mean that the person was from elsewhere and the priest didn't actually know it.

Happy hunting! Eeva

Comment

Working...
    X