Russian - Finnish border

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian - Finnish border

This picture shows part of a more than 700-mile long border between Russia and Finland - Russia to the left, Finland on the right with no-man's land in between. The cut is patrolled by troops from both countries. It is a powerful, arbitrary line in the landscape and people live very different lives on either side of it. This picture "Borderlands" is part of a show at the U. of Minn. called "Almos(t)here".
    Attached Files
    June

I visited the border near Salla when I was in Finland in 2008. We drove right near to the guardhouse and no-one made an appearance or looked to see that someone was there. We took pictures of the crossing. We stayed a good 20 minutes and never saw a guard.

Comment

Russian - Finnish border

I guess you were lucky. Minna Rainio, a Finnish filmmaker took this picture. She said she had to get special permission to take the picture and she was accompanied by a guard while doing so. I read her article to find out where the picture was taken, but she didn't mention the place.
      June

Comment

I had to make this smaller. Hope it's clear. Now that I look at it, looks like there's someone in the one building, but we never saw him.
        Attached Files

Comment

Russia

I notice there's a fence along the road - probably electric - so they aren't worried about anything trying to sneak in. They might even have cameras keeping track of anyone who drives down that road. RE the picture I sent - Maybe they have something deep in the woods that they don't want anyone to see, thus the guards.
          June

Comment

Working...
          X