Kitchen utensils made of wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen utensils made of wood

I have a question. This morning, an elderly friend came to me with an item that he had purchased at a Scandinavian Gift Shop. It was a small piece of hand-carved wood, about 3 to 4 inches in length, with a spoon on one end and a fork with four tines on the other. He said he was told that this was a replica of the type of utensil that was made - and used - by Swedish peasants more than 100 years ago. "Is that true?," he asked. I didn't know how to answer him. I have read about - and/or purchased - coffee cups, platters, trays, coffee spoons, meat forks and butter knives made of wood, but this was the first time I have seen a utensil like this. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who may have some historical information relating to this item. Thanks! Karen

spoon fork

I tried to find something online, but most articles were about a combination spoon and fork - called a spork. I came across this, but that's about all.
    http://en.allexperts.com/e/s/sp/spork.htm
    June

Comment

Sporks

Thanks, June. I am familiar with "sporks." I was introduced to some plastic ones several years ago when my daughters were in Girl Scouts. This one is several inches smaller and a wee bit different. I guess I will try and get a photo of it. Also, its origin was specifically designated as "Swedish" by the owners of the Scandinavian store where he purchased it.

Karen

Comment

Working...
      X