Old age care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old age care

A while ago it seems there was a discussion about children taking care of old folks and I can't remember the term for it - syttning... I'd like to explain it to someone but can't find a reference to it anywhere. Does anyone have a clue?
    June

sytning

http://finlander.genealogia.fi/sfhsw...ex.php/Sytning

Jaska

Comment

Sytning...

Thanks, Jaska. Too bad it isn't in English so I could send it to them. I don't have time to translate it for them..
      June

Comment

Couldn't find anything in English, but found that German word Altenteil means quite the same, and several English explanations can be found in the net.

Jaska

Comment

The word is sytning. In the not so olden times the farmer, when he grew too old to farm, gave his farm to his heir. In compensation they made a contract according to which the old farmer was allowed to live on the farm, often in a separate house with his wife. In addition he got a certain amount of foodstuff like potatoes, corn, meat fish and so on and perhaps some pieces of clothing each year. These contracts were very exact. Some sytning contracts were in effect still in the 1970ies.

Sune

Comment

Sytning

Thanks Jaska and Sune. It's a good explanation.
            June

Comment

Working...
            X