Mattfolk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattfolk

Somewhere on this forum a member gave us a link to a map of Finland from the late 1890s. When I checked out the map I found "Mattfolk" labelled close to the town of Korsnas. As my grandmother had Mattfolk as her last name and was born in Korsnas I wondered if Mattfolk might have been a small village or perhaps an estate (?) in the 1890s. I know nothing of land holding in Finland. Could someone tell me more about this?
    Claire

this is the map - I saw mattfolk

http://www.histdoc.net/uscha/index.html
    I put a link to a map on the thread named links of interest.

Chuck
    granskare
    Registered
    Last edited by granskare; 23-02-04, 09:46.

Comment

Mattfolk farm

I took a look in Hiski using Korsnäs as the parish and found Mattfolk was usually listed as a farm with Korsnäs as the village.
      Hiski also had Mattfolk listed as the "last name" of many of these folks.

Margaret

Comment

Thank you, granskare and Margaret:

Is it possible then that unrelated people could have the last name "Mattfolk" taken from the farm?
        Claire

Comment

Mattfolk

Ther are Mattfolk as a name on a farm in Ostrobotnia in

Lappfjärd kyrkoby since 1710 --
          Närpes Gottböle " 1725 --
          Närpes Kaldnäs " 1701 --
          Närpes Yttermark " 1701---
          Korsnäs Kyrkoby " 1701---
          Esse Ytteresse " 1699--

so that is why a person named Mattfolk not
          necessarily are related to an another with the same name.
          --Gustav
          Gustav, Pargas

Comment

People were primarily identified by first names and patronymicons. But the weren't really that many first names in use. That is why the name of the farm or village became a kind of family names.

Johan Persson Mattfolk meant simply that he was a different person than Johan Persson living on a farm called for example Backa.

This can cause confusion. Let's say that Johan Persson Mattfolk marries a daughter from the Backa farm and moves to live there. After that he is called Johan Persson Backa. The same person can thus have different "family names" in different periods of time.

The farm name can also be attached to farm hands or crofters without any blood relationship. So one must be careful to draw conlcusions about relationships only from family/farm/village names.

It was also possible for a person to declare that he wants to be called by a certain name. Sometimes you can se a note in the communion book "vill heta" = "wants to be called" and the desired name.

Sune

Comment

I am not sure but I could imagine that names like Mattfolk (we have a lot of different -folk in Esse, Finland) in ancient times simply meant the people of Matts house.

Kaj
              Kaj

Comment

Mattfolk an entity on the map

Go to the map website. Select Korsnäs from the K grouping and when it comes up, Mattfolk shows as a village. Perhaps it was a very important farm?

Chuck

Comment

Mattfolk is marked as an inn in the list. And as I look at other places I know of as inns they have the same mark on the map. This could be the reason why this farm is so important to know for travellers. Mattfolk is a farm and not a village.

Kaj
                  Kaj

Comment

Mattfolk

Ah, an inn!

Well then it is a place of importance for a map of those times.
                    Something like an army fort in the American west of the 1880s.
                    Now the next time I check one of those maps, I will look very closely at the footnotes.

Thanks Kaj

Chuck

Comment

Somebody named Mattfolk? at Worcester, MA

I was at Swenson searching S-125 which is Bethany Lutheran, a Swedish- Finn church, checking for Kaj's Wilson people there and I found this person.:

On membership book page 102,

Amanda Johnson [Mattfolk]
                      b. 4-19-1893 at Lappfjärd

So why was that name set apart?

Chuck

Comment

HI
                        I don't know. But is it possible she arrived as Amanda Johansdotter Mattfolk. The -dotter was to difficult to use so at first she changed that to -son. And later dropped the Mattfolk?
                        Kaj

Comment

Hello Kaj:

My grandmother arrived through Ellis Island (New York) in 1909 as Hilda Alina Mattfolk. She took the surname Johnson sometime later before she married in 1917. My grandfather also took the surname Johnson (born Erkus) before he married my grandmother. So a Johnson married a Johnson. I have kept the surname too as I believe it cost my grandparents a lot.
                          Claire

Comment

Mattfolk name set aside mystery

Hej Kaj,

It was the same for [Knuus} and [Lillåls] so perhaps that secretary went further to give farms they lived at in Finland?

Chuck

Comment

HI CHUCK
                              Yes, that is possible. Some do more than needed and some doesn't do what they are supposed to do. The former can in genealogy work be of more help.
                              Kaj

Comment

Working...
                              X