Shrove Tuesday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shrove Tuesday

A few years ago I visited a cousin in Alnö, SWE and since it was Thursday they served pea soup and pancakes. I think we had lingonberry jam with them. As a child I remember we ate the rolled up pancakes with cinnamon and sugar - sometimes with jam.

Yes, we add blueberries, or other fruit, or chopped bacon or sausage pieces to the pancake batter. Once I added chopped nuts and raisins. We can also buy frozen pancakes that have blueberries or strawberries in them. And some day I'm going to add chocolate to the batter!

June
    June

Comment

I add spinach in the batter sometimes when I make pancakes for lunch. It´s really good, and healthy I believe, and lingonberry jam goes great with it.

Chocolate sounds interesting. I think I will have to try that too!

Gita

Comment

I remember my mother rolling up pancakes and putting cinnamon & sugar with the extras (she would always make more so we could do this). I was wondering if this is a Finnish and Swedish thing to do? My mother has no Finnish or Swedish in her line and have no idea where she got the idea.

Tracy

Comment

I don´t think it´s very common to put cinnamon and sugar on pancakes in Sweden or Finland. I´ve never heard about it. Maybe in some places. But it´s common put it on fil and on rice porridge, and in different bakery. I think we like the combination of cinnamon and sugar.

Gita

Comment

My Fin/Swede mother's recipe for plattar doesnot contain baking powder.
            Eggs beaten, adding sugar, salt, then milk until it is like a thin gravy , then adding a little vanilla It has tobe fried in real butter.
            My Canadian husband has it down to perfection.

Pannkakor in our family was quite different. I have lost my mother's recipe (if she ever had one). But it was a mixture that was put into a frying pan and then baked in the oven. It had a firm custard centre and golden brown on top. I think there was cinammon and nutmeg in it. It was cut into pie shape servings and served warmed with Jam.
            If anyone has this recipe I would love to have it.
            Dorothy
            Dorothy Faulkner

Comment

Pannkakor

Most of my recipes are made in a frying pan, but here's one that is baked in the oven.

Oven Pancake

1 liter milk
              1 dl rich or semolina (not quick-cooking)
              1 dl flour
              2 eggs
              1 dl sugar
              1/2 tsp salt
              bit of cardamom

Bring milk to a boil and whisk in rice or semolina. Cook 20 minutes to make a porridge. Cool. Whisk eggs and sugar and add to the porridge. Stir in flour, salt and cardamom. Grease a frying or baking pan. Pour in batter and bake in hot oven, 225-250° C. until golden brown. Serve with jam and whipped cream.

1 liter = 10 dl (more than 2 pints)
              1 dl (deciliter) = less than 1/2 cup

One of my cousins in Finland baked something similar and spread lingonberry jam on top.

June
              June

Comment

Thank you all

Hi Everyone

I didn`t expect quite this response from my thread starter on Shrove Tuesday. Have been reading all the delicious ideas for pancakes and will be trying them all out soon - next year`s Shrove Tuesday is too far away to wait.

I can remember making butterscotch flavoured ones many long years ago, although they came out of a packet and were not the genuine article. Quite tasty though as I recall.

Gwenda
                Gwenda

Comment

Here in Finland plättar are thin panncakes fried in a pan on the stove regardless of whether they are big or small. A panncake made in a pan in the oven is called pannkaka. It is usually at least half an inch thick. And it is eaten as dessert with strawberry jam.

You can make this pannkaka into a regular meal if you fry some bacon until it's crispy and mix the bacon into the dough. Then you add a little salt. This is what I believe they call fläskpannkaka in Sweden.

Sune

Comment

Yes that´s right Sune. If it contains bacon it´s called fläskpannkaka. Without bacon it´s ugnspannkaka "oven pancake") I often make ugnspannkaka, it´s less job to do than the ones made on the stove, and it´s really "yammy";-)

The recipe June have with rice or semolina porridge reminds me of a similar recipe from the swedish island Gotland. Instead of cardamom they add saffron, almond and raisin and some cream as well. This pancake is served with whipped cream and a yam of Dewberry that grows on Gotland, or of blackberry. It´s very delicious.

Comment

pancakes

In the Netherlands there are special Pannenkoeken (pancakes)restaurants where you can eat all sorts of pancakes. I like in particular the spekpannenkoek (streaky bacon pancake). They also have apple pancakes, banana pancakes and even Kirsch liquor pancakes. In fact a whole list and the pancakes are quite large and have special-size plates to accommodate them. It just goes to show how the Fins get around. Never thought there would be a descendant living in The Netherlands, did you? Itchy feet, that's us!

Comment

Never thought there would be a descendant living in The Netherlands, did you?
                        My sister is another. She is having a baby any minute or day now she and her husband lives in Enschede. He is from the Netherlands and she is a swede- finn.

Gita

Comment

Nice to hear from you and to know I'm not the only Fin descendant here. I know Enschede - it's in the east of our country. Mind you you can travel north-south and east-west all in one day as it's such a small country and flat! Like pancakes.

Comment

Working...
                          X