U.P. [Yooper] culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably pre world war one

I would think the timeframe would be 1880s give or take 20 years.

http://www.ajmorris.com/roots/photo/index.php
    Here is a website that will help you with more exact information.

Chuck

Comment

Story of a Finnish-American soldier in WW2

"Speaking of those steam baths, did you hear that story they tell of the Finnish G.I. who was captured by some cannibals in the Phillipines? They put him in a big pot to boil and left him there for about six hours. ; The the cannibal chief lifts up the cover, and the Finn sticks out his head and says, 'What blace is de switches and towel?'"

I just read this in "Bloodstoppers and Bear Walkers, folk tales of Immigrants, Lumberjacks & Indians" by Richard M. Dorson.

Hope you are able to crack a smile as I did
      Chuck

Comment

U.P (Yooper) culture

Hej and Hei! I just had to jump into the food discussion....and the correct Swedish spelling of one of the items (Trenary product) is skorpor, in the plural, of course. And the term for the cardamom coffee braid is Vetebröd or Pulla (Swedish and Finnish), according to my collection of Swedish and Finnish cookbooks, one by Beatrice Ojakangas.

I enter this discussion a bit late because we just returned from a little drive to California from the U.P. (three weeks and 6,000+ miles). Great trip (missed most of their nasty weather except for a hailstorm), and wonderful visits with "new" cousins: a third cousin and a second cousin in the Kock/Hoppa tree, and another on my Johnson side. It's taking a while to catch up now, but I'm enjoying the archives. Hej då, Midge.
        Midge Waters

Comment

Thanks Midge for the correct name of the cardamom Coffee Braid. My family and friends always referred to the Coffee Braid as Mama's Bread. Had no idea that it was called Vetebrod. My mother called it Mama's bread too. Have you any idea where this term might have come from? It was a mainstay item in our home while growing up and was always served with coffee, infact I think coffee was part of the glaze.
          Dorothy Faulkner

Comment

U.P. (Yooper) culture

Hej igen........I got out my swedish dictionary and found the meaning of vetebröd....wheat bread! It seems that cardamom(kardemumma in my old Swedish book) bread should have a more fitting name, doesn't it! Looking a little further, I see that variations of that recipe can be used for making rolls (bullar), buttercake, saffron buns, or Fat Tuesday buns (semlor). Another book used the basic vetebröd recipe to make a cinnamon ring, too. Now I'm in the mood for baking, but alas..no time. Midge.
            Midge Waters

Comment

Working...
            X