Regional costume/folk dress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regional costume/folk dress

Sometimes we see national groups dressed to demonstrate folk dances for special holidays. What would someone from Osterbotten wear for such an activity?

I belong to a Scandinavian lodge here in Canada. I would like to be able to dress appropriately in folk dress of the Osterbotten region (Korsnas-Vasa). What would the folk dress be made of? What colours would be usual? Is it possible to find pictures or patterns?

Thank you.
    Claire

Folk dresses

Tjöck folkdräkt
    Here is one site with "folkdräkt" from Tjöck Kristinestad

http://sydaby.eget.net/swe/drakt.htm

WBR
    Henrik Mangs
    WBR
    Henrik Mangs

Comment

Thank you, Henrik.

That is a very useful site. The pictures are excellent.
      Claire

Comment

Here is the adress to the Finnish National Costume center http://virtual.finland.fi/finfo/english/puvuteng.html
        Exact information about the Swedish costumes in Finland you can ask for by e-mail to maria.schulman%40foreningenbrageihelsingfors.fi
        The Brage association has in fact the copyright of the costumes from the Swedish areas in Finland.

Sune

Comment

Thank you, sune. I will follow that up and see what they can tell me.
          Claire

Comment

Quite a few Finnish national costumes can be viewed at the online catalogue of Vuorelma, at

www.vuorelma.fi

Vuorelma makes and sells national costumes, or just materials for a selected costume.

Cheers,

Päivi T

Comment

folk costumes

Dear Claire,
              It may be that every parish in Finland had a certain set of colors and weaving patterns which the women and men were expected to don for special days or events. Today, some of the parishes have had "their" folk costume registered. If the parish was Swedish-speaking, the costume was registered with Brage Folk Costume Society. If Finnish-speaking it was registered with the National Folk Costume Bureau (a VERY rough translation). Vuorelma manufactures a large number of folk costumes for sale. There are a larger percent of costumes in their illustrated handbook from the lost parishes of Karelia than from the rest of Finland. Perhaps it is sentiment, or perhaps the beauty of the costumes makes them more popular. Many descendents of Finnish emigrants choose the costume from Swedish-speaking Munsala, because its blue and white colors so resemble the Finnish flag.

Once you know your home parishes ( maternal and paternal) you can select your costume. Be prepared for the sticker shock, however, since these are typically handmade from weaving the fabric on up.

Regards,
              Syrene
              Syrene
              Support SFHS - Building a bridge back to Finland!

Comment

Working...
              X