Looking for Charles Sundstrom b. 1838 Turku-Pori

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Charles Sundstrom b. 1838 Turku-Pori

I am interested to know if anybody can help with this line. The birthplace and family of my Great Grandfather, who we know of as Carl Henrik Sundström, born Tuku 1838.

I have never been able to find his records but it seems that Carl Ulric Sundström, b Kirjais, Nagu Parish, Turku-pori 1838 seems like a high probability candidate.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here are the details if the Carl Ulric is correct:
    Descendants of Michel Samuelsson SUNDSTROM
    Generation 1
    1. MICHEL SAMUELSSON1 SUNDSTROM was born in 1811 in Finland. He died in 1875 in Geta, Aland
    Islands, Finland. He married MARGARETTA (MAJA) GRETHA MICH. She was born on 27 Aug 1810 in
    Halis Finland. She died on 10 Mar 1855 in Kirjais, Nagu, Finland.
    Michel Samuelsson SUNDSTROM and Margaretta (Maja) Gretha MICH had the following
    children:
    i. MICHEL HERMAN2 SUNDSTROM was born in 1834 in Timmerholm, Kirjais, Nagu, Finland.
    2. ii. MARIA CHARLOTTA SUNDSTROM was born in 1835 in Timmerholm, Kirjais, Nagu, Finland.
    3. iii. CARL ULRIC SUNDSTROM was born on 22 Nov 1838 in Timmerholm, Kirjais, Nagu, Finland.
    He died on 25 Apr 1904 in Aberdeen, Scotland. He married Mary Elizabeth
    GOFF, daughter of George Henry GOFF and Elizabeth Issacs LEGG, on 26 Mar
    1876 in Weymouth, England. She was born on 30 Aug 1853 in Weymouth, Dorset,
    England. She died in 1941 in Bayonne, New Jersey, USA.
    iv. ISAC SUNDSTROM was born on 03 Aug 1842 in Timmerholm, Kirjais, Nagu, Finland.
    Generation 2
    2. MARIA CHARLOTTA2 SUNDSTROM (Michel Samuelsson1) was born in 1835 in Timmerholm, Kirjais,
    Nagu, Finland.
    Maria Charlotta SUNDSTROM had the following child:
    i. AUGUST FERDINAND3 SUNDSTROM was born on 24 Oct 1856 in Krok, Storlandet,
    NAUVO,TURKU-PORI,FINLAND. He died on 10 Jan 1857 in Spink, Storlandet,
    Nauvo, Turku-Pori, Finland.
    3. CARL ULRIC2 SUNDSTROM (Michel Samuelsson1) was born on 22 Nov 1838 in Timmerholm, Kirjais,
    Nagu, Finland. He died on 25 Apr 1904 in Aberdeen, Scotland. He married Mary Elizabeth GOFF,
    daughter of George Henry GOFF and Elizabeth Issacs LEGG, on 26 Mar 1876 in Weymouth,
    England. She was born on 30 Aug 1853 in Weymouth, Dorset, England. She died in 1941 in
    Bayonne, New Jersey, USA.
    Carl Ulric SUNDSTROM and Mary Elizabeth GOFF had the following children:
    i. EMMA MARGARETTA3 SUNDSTROM was born in 1877 in Weymouth, England. She
    died about 1960 in Florida. She married David MILLER after 1903. He was born
    date Unknown. He died date Unknown.
    ii. CAROLINE ELIZABETH SUNDSTROM was born on 07 Dec 1878 in Aberdeen, Scotland.
    She died in Apr 1939 in Los Angeles, California. She married John Benhardt
    SIMPSON on 05 Jun 1903 in Aberdeen, Scotland. He was born in 1876. He died on
    06 May 1953 in Los Angeles, California, USA.
    Notes for John Benhardt SIMPSON:
    Surname was Kaatavistoa. Changed after he ran away to sea at a young age.
    iii. CHARLES HENRY GOFF SUNDSTROM was born on 23 Sep 1880 in 1 Fish Street,
    Aberdeen. He died on 15 Nov 1957 in Montreal, Canada. He married Carolina Dey
    WALKER, daughter of John WALKER and Jessie Ann DEY, on 30 Jun 1919 in
    London, England. She was born on 18 Dec 1889 in 18 Dee Village, Aberdeen. She
    died on 02 Aug 1958 in Los Angeles, California.
    iv. JOHN GEORGE MITCHELL SUNDSTROM was born on 24 Sep 1883 in Aberdeen,
    Scotland. He died on 12 Oct 1958 in Los Angeles, California. He married Mary Ann
    WALKER, daughter of John WALKER and Jessie Ann DEY, on 28 Jul 1908 in
    Aberdeen, Scotland. She was born on 16 Dec 1885 in Dee Village, Aberdeen,
    Scotland. She died on 11 Nov 1965 in San Diego, California.
    v. WILLIAM SUNDSTROM was born on 15 Dec 1885 in Aberdeen, Scotland. He died
    about 1907 in eastern Canada.
    vi. FREDERICK SUNDSTROM was born about 13 Mar 1888 in Aberdeen, Scotland. Hedied about 1969 in Stockton, California?. He married (1) BEATRICE ?. He married (2)
    CATHERINE ?.
    vii. ISAAC ALFRED SUNDSTROM was born on 06 Dec 1890 in 14 Dee Village, Old Machar,
    Aberdeen, Scotland. He died on 25 Dec 1937 in Montreal. He married Anita
    LECLERC, daughter of Laurent-ant. LECLERC and Elizabeth LACHANCE, in Sep
    1925 in Montreal, Canada. She was born on 19 Nov 1900. She died on 03 Apr
    viii. MARY CHARLOTTE SUNDSTROM was born on 26 Feb 1894 in Dee Village, Aberdeen,
    Scotland. She died about 04 Sep 1970 in New York, New York. She married
    GEORGE SGOURDOS.
    ix. ALEXANDER SUNDSTROM was born on 01 Aug 1895 in Aberdeen, Scotland. He died
    on 15 Sep 1916 in World War I (Thiepval Memorial for the Battle of the Somme).
    Notes for Alexander SUNDSTROM:
    Served with 32nd battalion, royal Fusiliers
    x. AGNES GRANT SUNDSTROM was born on 10 Aug 1898 in Aberdeen, Scotland. She
    died on 15 Jul 1986 in England. She married HARRY KENCH.
    xi. ? SUNDSTROM was born on 10 Aug 1898. ? died date Unknown.

Originally posted by Brentwood View Post
    I am interested to know if anybody can help with this line. The birthplace and family of my Great Grandfather, who we know of as Carl Henrik Sundström, born Tuku 1838.

I have never been able to find his records but it seems that Carl Ulric Sundström, b Kirjais, Nagu Parish, Turku-pori 1838 seems like a high probability candidate.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here are the details if the Carl Ulric is correct:
    Descendants of Michel Samuelsson SUNDSTROM
    Generation 1
    1. MICHEL SAMUELSSON1 SUNDSTROM was born in 1811 in Finland. He died in 1875 in Geta, Aland
    Islands, Finland. He married MARGARETTA (MAJA) GRETHA MICH. She was born on 27 Aug 1810 in
    Halis Finland. She died on 10 Mar 1855 in Kirjais, Nagu, Finland.
    Michel Samuelsson SUNDSTROM and Margaretta (Maja) Gretha MICH had the following
    children:
    i. MICHEL HERMAN2 SUNDSTROM was born in 1834 in Timmerholm, Kirjais, Nagu, Finland.
    2. ii. MARIA CHARLOTTA SUNDSTROM was born in 1835 in Timmerholm, Kirjais, Nagu, Finland.
    3. iii. CARL ULRIC SUNDSTROM was born on 22 Nov 1838 in Timmerholm, Kirjais, Nagu, Finland.
    He died on 25 Apr 1904 in Aberdeen, Scotland. He married Mary Elizabeth
    GOFF, daughter of George Henry GOFF and Elizabeth Issacs LEGG, on 26 Mar
    1876 in Weymouth, England. She was born on 30 Aug 1853 in Weymouth, Dorset,
    England. She died in 1941 in Bayonne, New Jersey, USA.
    iv. ISAC SUNDSTROM was born on 03 Aug 1842 in Timmerholm, Kirjais, Nagu, Finland.
    Generation 2
    Hello Brentwood!

It looks like and is to my mind very probable that Carl Ulrik Söderström, born 22.11.1838 in Nagu, indeed is the person that later became known as Carl Henrik Sundström.

I have been able to track his movements in Nagu up until 2.2.1864 when he moved to the town Åbo (Turku in Finnish). At that time he had become a sailor which of course was a very natural thing for a person born on the island of Nagu. He can be found in one of the Communion Books of Åbo, period 1860-67 on page 476. Another source about sailors from Finland shows that he indeed was a sailor already in 1863. In 1867 when the ship he was working on was in Constantinopel he left his duties as a sailor on that particular ship and this was confirmed by the (Russian?) consul in that city. From this moment on there is no information available about him.

The Communion Books of Åbo for 1868-77 and 1878-87 state that the sailor Carl Ulrik Michelsson Sundström is escaped 'förrymd'. The last mention of his attending to the Holy Communion in Åbo is from 14.3.1867.

However, the information you have about his parents is incorrect! His father was Michel Samuelsson Sundström (Sjöberg) (25.7.1806 Nagu, Byskär - 13.11.1843 Nagu) and his mother Maria Margareta 'Maja Greta' Michelsdotter Södergård (15.11.1807 Nagu, Kirjais, Södergård - 22.11.1876 Nagu).

Michel Samuelsson and Maja Greta Michelsdotter were married on 26.2.1832 in Nagu and had 3 children (and 2 stillborn).

Kind regards,
    Göran Kuhlberg

Comment

Thank you Göran. Our family has searched for this man for generations. He is seen seated with wife and children in Aberdeen in the attached photograph.
      Attached Files
      Brentwood
      Registered
      Last edited by Brentwood; 16-02-17, 08:17. Reason: Add Photo

Comment

Hello again!

A nice photo of a nice family!

The word förrymd = 'escaped' or 'missing', indicating that there was no knowledge of where the person might be.

Carl Ulrik's roots in Nagu are clear and can probably be traced backwards in time without difficulty. The books of Nagu seem to be well preserved, which of course is a good thing.

How well do you read Swedish? I could send you a file with the screen dump of the info about Carl Ulrik as a sailor.

Göran

Comment

Unfortunately, I do not read Swedish. I have been looking at church records on the FFHA site and there appears to be a lot of information included that I cannot read. For example, on the birth records the basic information is clear but the last column has a lot of names and locations but I do not know who the people mentioned are. I am planning to post some of them in hopes that I can get some help.
          Rob

Comment

Unfortunately, I do not read Swedish. I have been looking at church records on the FFHA site and there appears to be a lot of information included that I cannot read. For example, on the birth records the basic information is clear but the last column has a lot of names and locations but I do not know who the people mentioned are. I am planning to post some of them in hopes that I can get some help.
            Rob
            Then I will skip that file which does not have any new information, the text in it is partly in Finnish and partly in Swedish.

However, I will attach a file with the ancestors of Carl Ulrik Sundström, or to be more specific, with five generations of them - as I see them! Some details are still missing from generation V, but you will get a pretty good oversight over his ancestors.

Göran
            Attached Files

Comment

Full file please.

Originally posted by Kuhlberg View Post
              Hello again!

A nice photo of a nice family!

The word förrymd = 'escaped' or 'missing', indicating that there was no knowledge of where the person might be.

Carl Ulrik's roots in Nagu are clear and can probably be traced backwards in time without difficulty. The books of Nagu seem to be well preserved, which of course is a good thing.

How well do you read Swedish? I could send you a file with the screen dump of the info about Carl Ulrik as a sailor.

Göran
              Hello Göran. Can you please send me the full text now. I am working on my Swedish now. Thank you.
              Rob

Comment

Thank you Göran. Our family has searched for this man for generations. He is seen seated with wife and children in Aberdeen in the attached photograph.
                Hello Goran,

Much thanks for your early help with this. I now have extensive information from the records on Carl and his family.

I am curious where to find the sources on sailor's records for Åbo?
                Rob Walker

Comment

Working...
                X