No announcement yet.

Ida Maria Andersson - Pensala ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, Jaska - If I look at the 1910-191 Communion Book pg 31 it shows my grandfather, Anders Wilhelm Johansson. There is a notation "Frilund" above the Johansson. The page is for Fors farm, Jungarby. Do you know where the "Frilund" came from or what significance it might have? This has been a longstanding family mystery as to how Frilund came to be our family name in the US. Thank you

Comment

Hello, Jaska - When I look at the 1910-1919 Communion book, I see my grandfather Anders Wilhelm Johnansson. Above his name is "Frilund". The page is for Fors farm, Jungarby. What is the significance of the "Frilund" or where did it come from to be part of his name. Thank you

Comment

Late 19th century and early 20th century was the time, when people started to use proper surnames in a modern sense instead of farm names, especially when they no longer had direct affiliation to the farm.
        For instance my great grandfather (from Purmo) was recorded as Sarell after his moving in 1887, while his brothers took surnames Sundquist and Backman. Absolutely no logic in these names.

Jaska

Comment

Thank you for such a quick reply. This adopting of the surname Frilund has perplexed my family for years. Now that I know there's no logic to it, we can "move on". Thank you again.

Comment

Working...
          X