Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tanskanen

Hello Everyone,
    I am trying to find out where my Tanskanen ancestors were from in Finland. My great grandfather was Henry (Heikki) Tanskanen, b. 15 January 1880. His father's name was Andrew (Antti) Tanskanen, and mother's name was Mary Karlenius?
    I am unsure if Henry Tanskanen married in Finland before coming to America. He was married to Alma Elizabeth Kangas (Kanganpaa) who was born 3 July, 1886. Alma Kanganpaa's parents were Samuel Kangas (Kanganpaa) and Maria Kulmala.
    My thoughts are that he was from Karelia, but I don't know that as fact.
    My mother has told me that her father, Uno Samuel Tanskanen, had told her that they were from "royalty"! I'm sure it was the alcohol talking, but he said when a name ended in "nen" it was royalty. He also made mention that they were from "Tanska".
    I would love some help!
    Thank-you,
    Denise

http://www.genealogia.fi/indexe.htm

This might be a good place to check this one. But it seems to me that any royalty would have a Swedish surname. He may have been referring to the nobility and such families are not necessarily royals but maybe people with wealth and power.
    The Russian royalty was the Tsar himself or Czar if you like that spelling. Any others of the Russians were just appointees.

Chuck

Comment

on the landed nobility

http://www.lib.helsinki.fi/elektra/summary.html

This should confuse you but I liked the part about being able to mortgage your serfs

and this from delphi of all places
      http://www.lib.helsinki.fi/elektra/summary.html

my dad told me that his dad shorted his surname to Mäki from Linnamäki so I guess I'm not in line for the Finnish throne

Comment

Tanskanen

Thank-you for your reply, Chuck. I've been on HISKI but haven't found any records that pan out to what I have on this end as far as birthdates, etc. Karen Norwillo has also been checking and found Palkjarvi as a possibility on the border of Russia, I believe. On HISKI there is a site if you search in families with the name Tanskanen. His e-mail address is jouko.tanskanen*phnet.fi
        but I don't know how to read or speak Finnish to inquire what is there. That's a problem my Finn-English dictionary doesn't help much with.
        Thank-you,
        Denise

Comment

from the delphi article is this snip

"...The Finnish nobility was not a rigidly exclusive caste but constantly received fresh blood through immigration and marriage, especially from Sweden. The lords of the castles were members of the upper nobility of Sweden and sometimes aristocrats from Denmark or Germany..."

This seems pretty clear and about what I had expected.
          The people who spoke Finnish were "the lowest of the low" to borrow from the film Trainspotters.
          Chuck

Comment

Tanskanen Immigration

I need to add that Henry Tanskanen immigrated in 1906, and Alma Kanganpaa in 1911 according to a 1930 census from Michigan.

Denise

Comment

Tanskanen

Hi Denise,
              Alicia Koski Marshall here. We have talked before.
              I think that I had traced Uno's family back to
              Karelia, now part of Russia some years ago. I was told that the family had fled
              from there to another part of Finland . And they also stated
              that none of them had a computer or spoke English.
              I didn't save the email as it was so long ago.
              Almost related...
              Alicia

Comment

Tanskanen

Hi Alicia!
                It's been a long time since I've talked to you! Thank-you for the Karelia information, as that is the track I'm on. How are you?
                Denise

Comment

Re: Tanskala in Polvijärvi, Ruvaslahti village

Hi,

www.genealogia.fi/FamilySocieties: T- Tanskanen: Sukuyhdistys Tanskanen ry: pari sanaa Tanskala tilasta (=a couple of words about Tanskala farm) A picture of Tanskala, at Ruvaslahti of Polvijärvi in Ruvasniemi, farmed from 1700 -1928 by 7 generations.

New owners have preserved the house in a museum condition
                  at their own cost and will keep it in an original state.

Researhes: Mr. Väinö Tanskanen: Tanskanens from Martonvaara
                  Polvijärvi presented with family backgrounds (1997)
                  Mr. Joko Tanskanen: Tanskanens from Northern Carelia, Polvijärvi
                  (2001)

The forefathers have been building up the Castle of Olav in 1475.
                  www.savonlinna.fi, www.olavinlinna.fi There is a destination during your next trip to Finland!

Originally posted by Denise
                  Thank-you for your reply, Chuck. I've been on HISKI but haven't found any records that pan out to what I have on this end as far as birthdates, etc. Karen Norwillo has also been checking and found Palkjarvi as a possibility on the border of Russia, I believe. On HISKI there is a site if you search in families with the name Tanskanen. His e-mail address is jouko.tanskanen*phnet.fi
                  but I don't know how to read or speak Finnish to inquire what is there. That's a problem my Finn-English dictionary doesn't help much with.
                  Thank-you,
                  Denise
                  A Helena

Comment

Tanskanen

Hi Denise,
                    Henry's draft card is under Heikki and he states that he was born in Russia. That is a little unusual as they usually put Finland /Russia or just Finland.
                    This may be his immigrant record
                    This Heikki was traveling with his father Antti and a Hannah

Last name Tanskanen
                    Passenger records

First names Heikki
                    Other names *
                    Date of birth . .9999
                    Marital status *
                    Religion Lut.
                    Occupation Taloll. pka
                    Home parish Pälkjärvi
                    Province KUO
                    Passport date 08.07.1908
                    Passport number 218
                    Passport valid (year:month) 5:0
                    Destination Amerikka
                    Passport issued by KUO
                    Remarks Ph isä Antti s. 1854.

Detailed passport information

Last name Tanskanen
                    Passenger records
                    First names Hanna
                    Other names *
                    Date of birth . .9999
                    Marital status *
                    Religion Lut.
                    Occupation Taloll. tr
                    Home parish Pälkjärvi
                    Province KUO
                    Passport date 08.07.1908
                    Passport number 218
                    Passport valid (year:month) 5:0
                    Destination Amerikka
                    Passport issued by KUO
                    Remarks Ph isä Antti s. 1854.

Alicia

Comment

Tanskanen Family Society

A Helena,
                      Thank-you very much for checking that out for me. If I remember correctly, I tried to email the Tanskanen family society, and didn't get a response from them. The Tanskanen's have been a mystery for me for quite awhile, and it seems the pieces of the puzzle are starting to come together. I appreciate your help.
                      Sincerely,
                      Denise

Comment

Tanskanen

Hi Alicia!
                        It's been awhile since I've talked to you. How are you? Thank-you for the info. on Tanskanen. I noticed that Heikki stated he was from Russia. I wonder who Hannah is, maybe his sister? I'll have to check out Ancestry and see if she can be found. There is so much I don't know about the Tanskanen's. Just wish Grandma Lilly was alive! I didn't get serious about genealogy until she passed away. I miss her!
                        Take care,
                        Denise

Comment

Tanskanen

Hi Denise.
                          Hi, that Heikki was traving with his father Antti so that is a clue.
                          I could not find them in 1910 but that last name is really hard to find.
                          I have the same problem as you, I didn't ever ask about the family when I was young. Now too many generations have passed to find connections. June was an enormus help in finding my Winkvist family in Finland. With my grandfather Jacob Koski, I was lucky , as my Dad had saved his passport, naturalization papers, a letter from Finland and his marriage certificate. BTW, my grandmother Lydia Pätsi lied about her age at marriage. She was only 16. Wonder if that makes us "legal".
                          Alicia

Comment

Tanskanen

Hi A. Helena,
                            You were right on with the Tanskanen family immigrating from Polvijärvi! I received information from the Finnish Apostolic Church in Calumet, Michigan of which my great grandparents were members. I have attached a copy of the info. I received.
                            Thank-you, now I have a birth place for them to start my research!
                            Thank-you so much,
                            Denise
                            Attached Files

Comment

Tanskanen/Karttunen from Polvijärvi

Hi,
                              Finally found my great-grandfather, Heikki Tanskanen's, death certificate while on a visit to the Houghton County courthouse in Michigan. On the record it is stated that his father's name was Antti Tanskanen and mother's name was Mary (Maria) Karttunen. They were from Polvijärvi. Heikki (Henry)Tanskanen died December 13, 1930 in Calumet Township, Michigan. According to his death record he was 50 yrs. 10 mos. 28 days old. I have his birthdate as January 15, 1880. Can someone now help me to find his ancestry in Polvijärvi? I should add that Heikki Tanskanen immigrated in 1906 according to a census taken in Michigan.

Thank-you,
                              Denise

Comment

Working...
                              X