Viktor Michelsson disappeared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viktor Michelsson disappeared

My husbands great grandfather emigrated from Finland, Houtskari, Medelby to New Jersey. He left 1910 and his last letter is posted in Long Island City, N.Y. He thought that his wife didn´t care about him anymore, cause she didn´t write to him. But she did write to him. Viktor was born 15.4.1881 in Rymättylä, Finland. He left his wife Erika and daughter Berta (1 year) in Finland. His new addres 4.10.1914 was
    Wiktor W. Mickelsson
    c/o mr. Blomqvist
    144 Stegman St.
    Jersey City N.Y.
    His daughter is stil alive, soon 98 years old. She has been very angry to his father, but I think she wants to know what happened to him.

I am greatfull for all information. We really wonder how he lived and died. He was a carpenter by the way, a sailor when he was younger.
    Riina

Mr. Blomquist in New Jersey

I found an August Blomquist living on Stegman Ave in the 1920 Jersey City, Hudson County, New Jersey Census, sheet 1A
    August Blomquist age 35, married, immigrated 1905, naturalized 1913, born in Finland, parents born in Finland, carpenter
    Hilda Blomquist wife, age 37, married, immigrated 1906, naturalized 1913, born in Finland, parents born in Finland
    David Blomquist son, age 12 born in New Jersey
    Dagma Blomquist daughter age 9 born in New Jersey
    John Blomquist son age 2 6/12 born in New Jersey

In the 1910 Jersey City, Hudson County, New Jersey census,(this census was taken 16 April 1910) August age 24 & Hildia age 28 Blomquist are living next to Martin age 28 & Mitilda age 28 Blomquist on Palisade Avenue. Martin immigrated 1899 and Matilda immigrated 1906.

Victor arrived in New York 17 June 1910, so he was here too late for the census.

In the 1920 Jersey City, Hudson County, New Jersery Census,sheet 19A:
    Michelson, Victor head, age 37, immigrated 1906 Finland Carpenter
    Michelson Maria wife age 37, immigrated 1903 Finland
    Michelson Leonard G. son age 7 New Jersey
    Michelson Charles J. son age 5 New Jersey
    Michelson William son age 2 New Jersey

1930 New Haven City, Ward of City 32 pt., block number 2, New Haven County, Connecticut Census, sheet 3A
    Michelson Victor, head, age 45, age at first marriage 27, Finland, immigrated 1907(?), carpenter
    Michelson Maria, wife, age 44, age at first marriage 26, Finland, immigrated 1907
    Michelson Leonard son, age 17
    Michelson Charles son, age 15
    Michelson Runar son, age 12

Comment

Runar Michelson

There is a Public Tree available online at www.ancestry.com for Runar Michelson born 4 November 1917 in New Jersey, but I do not have a subscription to Ancestry to view it.

The tree name is Budek Family Tree.

Comment

I found this on the Institute of Migration, I'll keep looking in ancestry.com for records.

Marcy

Last name Michelsson

First names Viktor
        Other names *
        Date of birth . .1876
        Marital status 2
        Religion Lut.
        Occupation Talokas
        Home parish Kruunupyy
        Province VAA
        Passport date 31.05.1910
        Passport number 3963
        Passport valid (year:month) 5:0
        Destination Amerikka
        Passport issued by VAA
        Remarks Sj vaimo ja 6 lasta.

Comment

^ I certainly hope you aren't wasting time.

This thread is 2 years and 5 months old.

Maybe it would be a good idea to send a PM or an e-mail to the original poster. She may have all the information already.
          Best -

Ilmari Kivinen

Comment

I don't feel it was a waste of time. I did some research in an area of the United States that I haven't researched in a while, and found some different websites that may help me in the future.

So, it was a win-win situation for me. If I hadn't tried someone else's dead end, then I wouldn't have found those other websites!

Comment

Thank you for your replyes.

I´m still searching for Victor.

Marcy Johnson; Sorry but that isn´t my Victor.

But this other one is interesting.

Also this one:

Victor Michelson
              in the 1920 United States Federal Census
              Name: Victor Michelson
              Birth Year: abt 1883
              Birthplace: Finland
              Home in 1920: Jamestown Ward 6, Chautauqua, New York
              Street: Royel
              House Number: 68
              Race: White
              Immigration Year: 1908
              [1909]
              Relation to Head of House: Head
              Marital Status: Married
              Spouse's Name: Josephine Michelson
              Father's Birthplace: Finland
              Mother's Birthplace: Finland
              Native Tongue: Finnish
              Able to Speak English: Yes
              Industry: metal f
              Employment Field: Wage or Salary
              Home Free or Mortgaged: Mortgaged
              Naturalization Status: Alien
              Neighbors: View others on page
              Household Members:
              Name Age
              Victor Michelson 37
              Josephine Michelson 34
              John Victor Michelson 4

What on earth can I do next?

Comment

And I can´t find the Budek Family Tree!

Comment

Victor C Michelson and his wife Maria and sons lived in New Haven, CT in 1930 and 1940. He was a carpenter by trade. 1940 census says Naturalized. Maria's maiden name was Maria Sophia Kultalahti. They are buried in Beaverdale Memorial Park Cemetery in New Haven. Dates of birth marked unknown, death for Victor 11 Sep 1961, for Maria (Marie) 17 Feb 1975. Son Carl (Charles) J Michelson 8 Oct 1914-30 Nov 2002. His wife Lillian is also buried there. Son Runar William Michelson 11 Apr 1917-22 Jun 1991 Palm Beach, FL. He married Alice Marie Gallagher 28 Sep 1946 in Cumberland, NC. He was stationed at Fort Bragg, NC. I hope this is your Victor.

Comment

Son Leonard C Michelson 28 Oct 1912-30 Oct 2001 Penfield, NY. Wife Ada Irene Jardine 27 Aug 1915 Manchester, England-22 Dec 1998 Los Angeles, CA. Clue from brother Carl's obituary.

Comment

Runar William Michelson died in Lake Worth, Palm Beach, FL. Wife Alice Marie 1 Jul 1926 CT-27 Nov 1989 Lake Worth, Palm Beach, FL. Must have retired to FL.

Comment

Strangely, when Maria Kultalahti arrived in US in 1906, she was bound for a friend Frida Michelson in Bayonne, NJ. Frida was married to a Charles J Michelson from Narpes. Any relation to Victor? I notice that Victor and Maria named their first son Charles John.

Comment

Karen, I noticed that too. If Marias Victor was also from Narpes, he isn't my Victor.

Comment

I've been searching for his Naturalization papers, but no luck so far. They would confirm if he is or isn't your Victor.

Comment

I'm gratefull for your help. ❤

Historia last letter was written 1920. The postmarks on his letters were Jersey City, Bayonne, New York. The last ones were sent also from New Harlem (1916) and the very last from Long Island (1920).

Comment

Working...
                              X