Rompasaari

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rompasaari

My great grandmother on my father's mother's side was Brita Kaisa Rompasaari from Rovaniemi. I am looking for information on her sister, Susanna Emelina Rompasaari, born 14 Sept 1866. She emigrated to the US and married a Nevela. The first name is either Matt or Louis and I've seen the last name as either Nevela or Nevala. The family settled in Montana and I did find a death index for her from Montana, the date of death was 1 May 1925. She had a number of children, but I have not been able to find any more information on the family. One of her children was Arthur, I think he died in the 1970s, but he is the only one I could trace even a little.
    I don't know if any of Brita's other siblings emigrated, that branch of the family has been very hard to trace.

Karen Kasper

Hi Karen!

Choose nr. 13 Reijo Kiviniemi, then on the right click "etsi",
    type Rompa in the sukunimi box, then click "etsi".

http://www.sukujutut.fi/haku/default.asp

Best regards

Tapio

Comment

Karen,
      Here is your Nevala family in Montana. There are many children besides Arthur. Husband's name was Louis/Lewis born abt 1869 and died 2 Feb 1946 in MT. Children, spelling varies with years, were A Emil, Halmer/Jalmer , Hilma, William, Esther, Arthur, Almi/Helmi/Alma and Matt. Here are the census images for 1910-20-30. May have to do in 2 posts.
      Karen
      Attached Files
      Karen Norwillo
      Registered
      Last edited by Karen Norwillo; 30-09-10, 17:07.

Comment

Here's 1930 after Susanna died. If my subtraction is correct, Emil born abt 1892, Jalmer/Elmer 1894, Hilma 1896, William 1898, Esther 1902, Arthur 1905, Helmi/Alma 1907 and Matt 1918. Don't know who John J is, but the only child born MI is the one listed as A Emil in 1910. He was born abt 1892, so he should be 38, not 35.
        Attached Files

Comment

Karen,
          Apparently, there was both an Emil and a John J Nevala. John J is Jalmer. I found both their WWI Draft Cards. Emil Arvi Nevala died 24 Oct 1918, Arthur 13 Apr 1905-31 Jul 1971, William died 21 Dec 1914. Found an obit for Matt Nevala's wife with alot of info. Have to scan and then I'll post.
          Karen
          Attached Files

Comment

Karen,
            The obit is too big. It has alot of extranious info about Annie, so I'll give you the highlights.
            Annie Gliko Nevala born Feb 15, 1914 to John and Johanna Gliko, died Dec 23, 2008 at Great Falls Care Facility. She married Matt Nevala on Mar 4, 1935 They had 3 sons, Raymond, Edward and Kenneth. 2 daughters died at birth. She was an active member of St Mark's Catholic Church in Belt, MT. She was preceded in death by her husband Matt Nivala in Feb 2002, her parents and brothers and sisters. She and her husband ranched at the foot of the Highwood Mountains.

Comment

Hi!

Three generations of Rompasaaris in this picture from Rovaniemi 1858-1867,

Henrik Henriksson 1790-31.07.1859

Johan Carl Henriksson 16.09.1819-06.06.1866

Brita Caisa Johan Carlsdaughter 14.02.1862.

http://www.sukuhistoria.fi/sshy/kirj..._ik378/170.htm

Tapio

Comment

Rompasaari/Nevala

Thank you for the information. I don't think my father knew he had relatives in Montana. His mother's mother was Brita Rompasaari and a sister to Susanna.

Comment

Karen,

I didn't find any other Rompasaari in the emigration records. Possible they shortened it to Saari which was very popular.
                  Karen

Comment

Rompasaari

That could be, or it also could be that Brita and Susanna were the only ones to emigrate.

Comment

Working...
                    X