Johan Wahlberg (Warmanen)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warmanen

Thank you. I'm getting a much better idea of where my grandparents came from. Is Tofsala another name for Taivassalo? I have records indicating that my grandfather was born in either Taivassalo or Tofsala.
    Judy

Comment

Töfsala

Yes, Töfsala is the Swedish name for Taivassalo.

Comment

translation of the obit

A rough translation of his obit:
        John Hjalmar Warmanen
        Was born of finnish birth the 14 of Januari 1874 in Töfsala, Finland. He arrived at an age of 25 years to USA and entered the same year the matrimony with Mathilda Lindholm from New York. For some time he worked at the Finnish seamens church in New York, until he in 1890 was ordained by the Finnish National Synod, and moved to Fredrick Brown county South Dacota. Her he carried out his forst congregation work and stayed until 1903 when he moved to Calumet, Michigan. From 1906 until 1908 he was a member of the editorial staff of a finnish newspaper, at the same time he studied privately for the pastor N.J. Forsberg of the Augustana synod. In 1908 he was ordained by the Augustana synod, and became the missionary pastor of the synod in Alaska 1908-1913, pastor in the Emmaus congregation in Seattle, Washington, 1913-1921 International Falls-Loman, Minnesota, and Fort Francis, Canada 1921 – 1924, Hettinger, North Dakota 1924 – 1933. The last year he had to withdraw cause of a weakening health. He was treated for some time at the Bethesda Hospital in St. Paul, Minnesota and then at a centre at St.Peter, same state, where he died 21 april 1934. The funeral was held on sunday in First Lutheran church in St. Peter, officiated by dr. O.J. Johnson, dr. V.H. Hegström and pastor V.E. Beck. His body was laid to rest at the cemetery of the congregation. He is sorrowed by his wife ant four children; Phyllis in San Francisco, Calif. Mrs C.L. Lithio in St.Paul. Minn, and the sons Philip in St. Paul and Egis in Jamestown, N. Dak. This servant of the Lord used his gifts on the missionary fields, where he willingly and joyfully shared the sorrows and shortcomings of the work, sowed the noble seed of the word of the Lord. May this be fruitful in many lives May his spirit now rest in peace.
        Kaj Granlund
        Registered
        Last edited by Kaj Granlund; 01-06-04, 22:53.
        Kaj

Comment

Warmanen

Kaj,
          Thank you for taking the time to translate my grandfather's obituary and to send me the translation. I'm very thankful for your kindness.
          Judy Warmanen

Comment

Warmanen

Enckell's article is excellent, and covers Douglas pastorates, and the lack of same in Sitka. I'm looking forward to seeing the Sitka Altarpiece display. Maria championed its return to the Lutheran church from the Russian Orthodox church there in Sitka. Took her 12 years to achieve the transfer. She has written most of the articles in the catalogue for the exhibit called Transfiguration.
            Syrene
            Support SFHS - Building a bridge back to Finland!

Comment

Warmanen

I thought Maria's article was excellent as well. On a personal level, I was glad to read the excerpts from my grandfather's diary and letters. It gave me a personal connection with him.
              Judy

Comment

1910 Census info

Hi Judy,

The Heritage Quest cd Scandinavians in the 1910 US Federal census has only the one Warmanen listing.
                WARMANEN John H 36 yrs M b. Finland County 1-Division Locality Juneau T624-roll 1748 part 1 page 100 subpage B AK

Hope this helps you

Jeanette

Comment

Warmanen

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                  X