Born 6/1 1915 in Duluth Minn. USA.

WBR
    Henrik Mangs
    www.netikka.net/henrik.mangs
    WBR
    Henrik Mangs

Smith in Duluth

Hi,
    I've posted a list on Delphi of members in the West Duluth temperence lodge around 1907. In that you'll find one wife whose maiden name was Smith, and she was born in Wisconsin. Lots of Swedish Finns who worked in Duluth lived just across the bridge around Superior Wisconsin. She might be your Smith family? Use the Find box to type in Duluth. It will take you to the Lodge list.
    Regards,
    Syrene
    Support SFHS - Building a bridge back to Finland!

Comment

Hi Henrik,
      I tried searching the census records for these people but could not locate them. I'll keep trying and see if I can find them.
      Kevin Paavola
      Orlando Florida

Comment

Superior Wis

Hi,
        I just went through the membership around 1917 in Superior Lodge, Wisconsin, right across the bridge from Duluth. There was no one from Rangsby, Närpes.
        Sorry,
        Syrene

Comment

Could these be possibles?

I began to wonder if the Lily Smith could by the daughter LILI GULLBORG? See below. These were all the Smiths in Superior Wisconsin. The husbands (both Smith) were evidently not members. So their birthplace, if it was Rangsby, isn't listed. But if you can connect with families of Ventos or Åstrand, they may know something more. ??
          Mrs. Leander Smith (Maria Ventos), Kallesby, Gamlakarleby.
          Edgar Smith (son of Mrs. Smith.)
          Mrs. Viktor Smith (Brita Johanna Åstrand), Pårasby, Kronoby.
          Elna Smith (daughter of Mrs. Smith.)
          Lily Smith “

Syrene

Comment

Smith in Duluth

Syrene,

Mrs. Leander Smith was Maria Matilda Mattsdotter Ventus, b. 18 Nov 1853 in Karleby, d. 1937, married 1882 to Leander Johansson Kaino, b. 16 Jun 1859 in Nedervetil. They had 4 children.

Mrs. Viktor Smith was Brita Johanna Mattsdotter Åstrand, b. 18 Jan 1879, Kronoby, married 1897 in Nedervetil to Viktor Abrahamsson Bastubacka - Smith, b. 6 Feb 1877 in Nedervetil. To US 1899, a saloon keeper. At time of death he was a fisherman living on Minnesota Point. He is related to Cheryl Marlin and Gertrude Levings (in Superior, WI). Viktor had a daughter Elna who died in Superior and a daughter Elin who died in Mystic, CT. I didn't see a daughter Lily listed.

I looked through my Smeds names and the only one I found was Linnea Smeds, married to Lars Arne Lennart Isaksson Malm from Malax.

June
            June

Comment

Lots of info

Hi June,
              As part of the article I was hoping to get a little background on some of the members over the years in the two lodges. Is your information because you're related or???
              May I send you additional names via your personal email, and see if you have background on any others?
              Regards,
              Syrene

Comment

Smeds/Smith

I forgot to mention that I was contacted by Börje Prest in Finland, who is looking for data on his relative Arvid Smeds/Smith who lived in Oregon. He had a son Dean Smith. Arvid was married to Alice Selin from Karleby. Arvid d. 1951 and his wife died 1980 in North Bend, OR.

June
                June

Comment

Smith

Syrene,

Yes, you can send some names and I'll see if I have anything on them. I had that Smith data because both Cheryl and Gertrude (oops, I should say Gretchen) had contacted me for help and shared their data with me.

June
                  June

Comment

Working...
                  X