Malakias Laukka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malakias Laukka

Chuck, the next time you go to Swenson, could you check on this fellow? This message appeared on Finngen. Anyone not seeing it there that might know something, please reply and I'll get back in touch with Libby. (There are some possibilities on the Migration Institute but she already saw them and she just wasn't for sure it's the same person.)

"To all of you who have responded, asking for more info, here's what I know:

I'm told, by family members, that Malakias' surname wasn't originally Laukka. He was sent to work at an early age by a step parent and worked for the Laukka family so he took their name. (From "early age," I'm assuming he changed his name before - or when - he left Finland.)

From his death cert, he was born in 1869 and died in 1932. Death cert says his father was Matt Laukka, but it doesn't say who provided the info, so I don't know how accurate that is. The death cert is not a xerox copy, but a "typed-in" form, indicating they transcribed it from a ledger perhaps. (I'm not sure this is completely accurate - perhaps since it was typed, "Matt" provided the information. He did name his third son Matt.)

One Matts Laukka immigrated, Ellis Island, arrived April 03, 1899, on the ship New York, 25 years old, but the age is all wrong.

The 1910 census says he immigrated in 1889. He lived in Marquette County, MI, around Negaunee. In 1900, he was in the town of Negaunee. By 1910, he was on a farm in the county. (Family lore has it that all the children were born on the farm, meaning he moved there ~1900 since the oldest son was born in 1901.) There were 11 children and I've pretty well pinned them down. From what I can tell, everyone in the family has accepted the answer that he changed his name and doesn't know anything
    more.

He married ~1900. (The 1900 census says he'd been married less than a year.) I've written for the marriage cert. They were both Lutheran.

His wife was Margareeta (1876-1963). Her death cert info was provided by a son, Andrew, and says her father's name was Kestinen. I'm told she immigrated and worked for a family to pay her passage, perhaps in the Detroit area. She came over ~ 1899. One of her daughters, now dead, said she came through Ellis Island, but I haven't been able to verify this or find much about her family either. Her mother married twice, so I don't know if Kestinen was her natural father or her step-father's name.

The Marquette County MI Naturalization Records are on-line and I have scoured them, looking even for a first name and have not found anything even close. No Malakias'. I'm thinking even if he changed his surname, he would keep his given name.

For Laukkas, the State of Michigan Index of Naturalization for Marquette Co. applications only list Henry Laukka; Abel Laukkanen; Oskar Laukkanen; and Wilho Laukkanen - not even close. (http://www.michigan.gov/hal/0,1607,7...5704--,00.html).

Not all counties are indexed, but looking at adjoining counties, I can't find anything.

The census says he became a US citizen in 1892 or 93 (can't read the census). Since it was before 1906, the process was different than it is today and the records are not as detailed.

I'm told application for naturalizatiom could be made at a county court or a federal court. There was a federal court in Marquette, but I haven't had any luck finding anyone who will admit to having those records. Neither have I had any luck determining if the on-line immigration records for Marquette Co are only county records, or whether they include records from the federal court there.

From 1824 to 1906, minor aliens who had lived in the United States 5 years before their 23rd birthday could file both their declarations and petitions at the same time. He may fall into this category (barely).

At the time he immigrated, Finland was under Swedish rule and army training was mandatory at 19 years. (I'm guessing that, and the offer of a job, might why he immigrated when he did - for what that's worth!)

Malakias was a conscripted miner (iron mines). The mining company provided passage for a certain period of work, but I have been unable so far to find out which mines recruited in Finland for the Negaunee area in the early 1890s, thinking perhaps I might find mining company records.

My husband's other grandfather was also from Finland and came as a miner, but he came in 1909. I have his records. They say he came in through Canada. If Malakias came this way, that doesn't help me since the St. Alban's List only begins in 1895.

I live in Alabama. My side of the family is from north Florida. They were all "just folks" (no one special), but I've had pretty good luck
    tracing them back to ~1800. As I understand it, the key to my next step in tracing Malakias is to find out which parish/town he came from so I can check church records in Finland.

(This is my husband's family. The state of Michigan will only send copies of death certs to heirs, but I have written for the one for my husband's mother, hoping for a clue.)

Thank you all for taking an interest. I'm sure there are "rocks" I haven't turned over yet, but am beginning to run out of places to think to look.

I apologize for taking "list space" with this long posting, but several folks have indicated that with additional information, someone might have an idea.

Thank you again,
    Libby"

Sorry for the long message.....
    Kevin Paavola
    Orlando Florida

Interesting but...

Hi Kevin,
    This guy, Matt Laukka is a Finnish speaking guy if I read that name correctly. I don't see anything suggesting his wife was a Swedish speaking woman.
    You being a former Mqt county boy will know that Ishpeming had 3 apostolic factions and 1 Suomi Synod church, Negaunee had 2 apostolic groups and 1 Suomi Synod church, Princeton/Gwinn had a Suomi Synod church [depending on what around Negaunee encompasses] and a bit west Winthrop/National Mind had a Suomi Synod church. For that, we really need a member who is in Hancock or Houghton
    The Swedes had 2 churches each in Ishpeming and Negaunee. I will check to see if a funeral was provided but it is a long shot - I like a long shot
    Chuck

Comment

back from swenson

Bethany Lutheran Negaunee,
      Mission Covenant Negaunee
      Evangelical Covenant Ishpeming
      Bethany Lutheran Ishpeming.

No Laukka listed as a member in these churches.
      BL in Negaunee did not have any m/acts on the reel so unable to confirm anything about a funeral here.
      MC in Negaunee did not show him on their funerals list.
      EC in Ishpeming, their jordfäst [burial] list dates only to 1915.
      BL in Ishpeming m/acts only thru 1926 and the closest name I found was Lokken so I checked it out but nothing there.
      Be very nice is we had somebody in Hancock to check at the Finn center there.
      Chuck

Comment

Hancock MI

this person might try posting a query in the Finnish American Reporter.
        Syrene
        Support SFHS - Building a bridge back to Finland!

Comment

Update

Thanks, Chuck, for giving it the "once over". I've been exchanging emails with Libby privately the last few days and we have found a few more clues.

Before that though, she said in an email something about this Malakias' wife being Lutheran in Negaunee and something about being a "Laestadians". Does anyone know what this is? She thought it was a branch of the Lutherna Church but I've never heard of it before.

She mentioned Malakias' wife, Margareeta. Turns out I think I found her on Migration Institute site on the Passenger List. Name was Reeta Kestilä, age 21, travelling Mar 25, 1899. It says she was from Oulu. Libby mentioned a family member said she was "born Kestilassa (Oulunlanissa)". I found a Kestilä village in Temmes which looked promising.

Then she emailed me saying she found Reeta on Ellis Island, under name Reeta Kesti, arriving in April. Age seems to fit. It lists her as being from "Frantsilassa". Checking Hiski, I found variations of Frantsilä in Sievi and a few others but also Temmes.

I told Libby we must be getting closer to tracking her down. I suggested ordering a film for Temmes. Still no luck on Malakias but suggested to keep looking around.

If any of this new information strikes a bell with anyone, please let me know. Don't know why I've become obsessed with helping Libby find these people but here I am.

Thanks again for any input. (Syrene, I will forward your suggestion as well).
          Kevin Paavola
          Orlando Florida

Comment

Laestadians

Hi Kevin,
            Laestadians have a nice newer church in Ishpeming right now. I have never visited it but I have seen it as I drove by.
            Now we need somebody from Marquette County to visit that church and see if they have their old records.
            http://www.makkeri.bravepages.com/factsamerica.htm
            This website is a brief description of this set of groups.
            http://www.srk-oulu.net/teksti3e.htm
            And another which gives a more indepth description of the beginnings. Both websites seem to agree on the people holding strong beliefs. This may account for the tendency to split into many groups.
            Not much help in finding Matti but it's a part of Finnish life yet today.
            Hmm, my dad's father was a member of the Apostolic church in Republic so I guess that makes me related to this group
            Chuck
            granskare
            Registered
            Last edited by granskare; 24-01-04, 04:41.

Comment

Midge are you out there?

Wondering if Midge Waters is reading the Forum still. If you are, would you mind checking the Neguanee Church for me (her?).

Thanks,
              Kevin Paavola
              Orlando Florida

Comment

Re: Update

Originally posted by kpaavola
                ... she said in an email something about this Malakias' wife being Lutheran in Negaunee and something about being a "Laestadians". Does anyone know what this is? She thought it was a branch of the Lutherna Church ...
                The Laestadians are a movement within the Lutheran Chrurch. It is particularly strong in norhtern Finland, in the vicinity of Uleåborg and in Larsmo and in Karleby.

The movement was founden by Lars Levi Laestadius (b. 1800 in Arjeplog, Sweden, d. 1861 in Pajala, Sweden).

He was a son of a farmer. At first he was known as a botanist. He was an expert on the flora of Lapland. He became a priest in 1825 and lived in Karesuando, where he got his calling.

He is famous for his prophetical sermons. Leastadius must have been very carismatic. He preach against sinful life and alcohol, but also about forgiveness. There are many opinions about the movement, but at least he is said to have sobered up the people in Lapland.

His followers today keep much to themselves in their religious life. They have their own halls where they come together on Sundays. They preferr marriages within the movement. They believe litterally that man shall fill the earth, therefore they have big families. Most of them do not approve of television and a couple of decades ago even radio was considered to be devilish.

I do not have the figures, but the movement is not very big. On the other hand it is very influential in the parishes where it exists. It would for example be very hard for a woman priest to function or even get work in such a congregation.

Sune

Comment

Thanks Sune

Thanks for the information, Sune. I forwarded your message to Libby. Seems like another indication they came from the Oulu area. Another good lead!

Thanks again!
                  Kevin Paavola
                  Orlando Florida

Comment

Malakias Laukka

Hi, Kevin, Chuck, and all....Midge checking in, and I tried to call the Laestadian Church in Ishpeming....no answer. I will try again, and if possible, ask permission to see their records, if they go back far enough. Also, I looked at their website in the local paper, and left a message there...I fear that the website is a national one, so I asked to be informed of a local phone, e-mail or snail-mail address, so that I can reach them here. The website I reached was http://www.laestadianlutheran.org. I'll keep trying... Midge.
                    Midge Waters

Comment

Laestadius

There is an article about Lars Levi Laestadius by Juha Pentikäinen in "Exploring Ostrobothnia", edited by Börje Vähämäki, Vol 2, No. 2, 1998. And there is another article in the book about Religious movements in Ostrobothnia.

I noticed a picture of the home of a Laestadian preacher Kaleb Wuollet in New York Mills, MN. Also a drawing of Juhani Raattamaa, Laestadius' disciple and another of Lars Laestadius..

June
                      June

Comment

if not Laestadian, perhaps Apostolic Lutheran?

In the event that Midge is unable to turn up any records, the possibility exists that Matti was perhaps a member of a Negaunee Apostolic Lutheran Church or had funeral services conducted by one of their ministers. There apparently were 3 in Negaunee according to the Finnish gen website.
                        Chuck

Comment

Malakias Laukka

Okay....I'll ask around among the Apostolics, and also see if I can find the obit. If I do, I'll follow up with the pastor who officiated, and the funeral home, which often has additiional information. I'll keep looking for rocks to look under! Midge.
                          Midge Waters

Comment

Thank you, Midge

Thanks, Midge. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Welcome back, too! Hope your navigating around the forum ok. If you're having problems, let me know and I'll be happy to help you out!
                            Kevin Paavola
                            Orlando Florida

Comment

Hi, Laukka-seekers......I think I have located (by phone) the obits of several family members at the Longyear Historical library (great obit file), but not Matt's. I will get copies on Thursday.

Also, I checked the local churches, and found that Malakias and "Kreeta" and some of the children are listed in an old church book at Immanuel Lutheran Church in Negaunee, and when I get it all together, I can mail or scan the information to the original seeker. Would prefer to send it by snail mail.

I could speak to the pastor who held some of the funerals. Also, the funeral home, to see what history they have. I could also look for the cemetery information with the city clerk, but there will be no digging through the snow for photos of the gravestone! (until May, anyway).

More later. Midge.
                              Midge Waters

Comment

Working...
                              X