Edvin Lofdahl / Löfdahl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edvin Lofdahl / Löfdahl

Simon Edvin Löfdahl b. 27.8.1893 in Oravais Finland emigrated to USA in 1915. He came to Ellis Island on April 16, 1915 via Copenhagen.
    According to the Ellis Island records he travelled to his cousin Carl Hjelm, box 11, Au Train, Michigan.

I haven´t found anything more about him... hope someone else do!

Ann-Marie

Hi, I just checked the phone book for this area, and found a Lofdahl in Marquette. That's not terribly far from Au Train...want the number? Midge, in Negaunee.
    Midge Waters

Comment

Löfdahl

Ann-Marie,
      I checked the 1920 census for AuTrain (8 pages total!)
      Unfortunately, I didn't find either man. The 1920 census isn't indexed on genealogy.com so I can't check further for him. Maybe someone who has an ancestry.com subscription could find him for you.

Sorry I couldn't help further~
      Kevin Paavola
      Orlando Florida

Comment

Autrain! Autrain!

Hi Ann-Marie,
        Never did I expect to see the name of that tiny village on this website I spent many happy times just 7 miles west of Autrain
        The closest Swedish speaking church is
        MUNISING EDEN LUTHERAN CHURCH which was organized in 1905. I will check that place for both Löfdahl and Hjelm to see if they have some connections there.
        I have a picture postcardposted showing a county road in the vicinity of Munising to give you some idea of the roads. The card was postmarked in 1917 so it quite timely.
        I hope I can find them or maybe somebody from Oravais
        Chuck
        Attached Files

Comment

I looked on Ancestry.com in the indexed census, but found nothing, but I did find a Simon Edwin Lofdahl in the Minnesota Death Index listed as dying Sept. 26, 1939 in Hennepin, MN. He is also found in the Minnesota Naturalization Records Index 1854-1957, Duluth county. Reel 20, code 52, vol. 20, pg. 247. I also found in the 1930 census for Alexandria, Douglas, MN. an Edwin G Lofdahl, age 27, living on 9th Ave. Mother and father listed as Swedish. He is newly married, wife's name looks like Letta??

Comment

Thank you

Thanks, Karen
            The Simon Edvin dying in Minnesota could be the one!
            Is there a birthdate or age??? Is it possible to find out if he had a family?

The Edwin G who was 27 in 1930 is too young.

Chuck,
            even if you don´t find my Edvin (who was born in Seiplax!) maybe you find the Hjelm-family. Carl Hjelm came to Ellis Island on May 19 1913. He travelled to his sister Ida in Au Train. Ida and Mårten Hjelm had gone to Au Train in 1907. Johanna Hjelm (with her children Alfred and Ida) went to her husband in Gladstone in 1900. I am not sure how all these are related yet.

Thanks Kevin for trying!

Midge, I know there are many members of the Lofdahl-family living somewhere in Michigan... It was a brother of Edvins father; Anders Andersson Löfdahl who emigrated to Michigan in 1895. Maybe the one in Marquette is one of these. Name?

Hope to find out more...
            Ann-Marie

Comment

Hjelm in 1910 census

Hi Ann-Marie,
              I went to the 1910 census with the other Hjelm names you mentioned and found them. There is a Eric Nybeck age 36 immigrated 1893, Ida (wife) age 20 immigrated 1905 and a Martin age 50 immigrated 1906. Also a cousin age 20 named John Johnson.

Martin is listed as married for 25 years and is listed as father-in-law so he must be the father of this Ida.

I've attached the image below.

I didn't find a Hjelm in 1900 in the Gladstone area.
              Attached Files
              Kevin Paavola
              Orlando Florida

Comment

Hjelm

Kevin, was this in Au Train ?
                Ann-Marie

Comment

Martin Hjelm

Yes, Ann-Marie. Sorry, forgot to include that detail.

Kevin Paavola
                  Orlando Florida

Comment

more info

Ann-Marie,
                    What was Johanna's husband's name in Gladstone? Maybe I can go back and look again.

Also, you mentioned Ida and Martin went to Au Train in 1907. It looks like Ida was married about 1908 since the census of 1910 says she's been married for 2 years.

Also, it says they were all born in Finland but spoke Swedish.
                    Kevin Paavola
                    Orlando Florida

Comment

Edvin Lofdahl

Hi.....in the Marquette area phone book, this is the only Lofdahl: Tyler Lofdahl at 1008 W. Ridge Street, Marquette MI 49855.
                      Good luck with your search. Midge, Negaunee MI
                      Midge Waters

Comment

Ann-Marie, I was thinking more that the younger Edwin Lofdahl might be a son. I'll check again to see if a birthdate or age at death was given, I don't believe it was. You'd probably have to write to MN to ask for a copy of the actual record, unless one of our members has access to that info. You can also get a copy of the Naturalization records from the state. I've found them to be a great source of unknown info. Karen

Comment

Ann-Marie, I checked again. No dates given. The State file # for the Death Index is 022149. It says you can request a copy from the Minnesota Historical Society for $8.00.They have a website. Also, The Iron Range Research Center has Naturalization records and can be emailed at yourroots%40ironworld.com. You can also request death records from the MN Dept of Health, but the historical society is cheaper. Karen

Comment

Simon Edvin at Munising church

Hi Ann-Marie,
                            This is where I showed my dumb luck
                            Au Train has no church so the closest Swedish lang church is in Munising so I am doubtful but I check it out.
                            The membership list does not show Simon so I continue to check for any Oravais people. It's my new thing to do and I get to page 16 and spot somebody with an Oravais birthplace but the first name, is that Siman or Simon or maybe Liman? I ask Jill to look at it and she says it is Simon. OK, then I begin to look at this guys whole name - Simon Edvin Löfdahl! Why, this is your guy!
                            I checked the onward church at Amasa and did not find him in a page by page look and also did the same for the Finnish and Swedish churches in Crystal Falls but did not find him. The records there are incomplete and do not stretch to 1917 but I have seen entries of data into that timeframe and I am looking for Oravais people, right? OK, nothing to say where he has gone so I am at a crossroads but don't know where to turn.
                            btw: No Hjelm people noticed.
                            Chuck
                            Attached Files

Comment

Nybeck/Nybech in Au train

Hi Anne-Marie,

The Scandinavians in 1910 US Federal Census cd lists three Nybech/Nybecks in Au train, Algers County MI.
                              Nybeck Eric 36 details supplied by Kevin from the actual census.
                              Nybeck Mary 73 b. Fin roll 634 part 1 page 70 B and
                              Nybech Mickel age 50 b. Fin roll 634 part 1 page 69 B

Perhaps they are also relatives?

Altogether there are 71 Finnish born people listed in Au Train TWP.

Jeanette

Comment

Working...
                              X