Long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long

Searching for information regarding my uncle's father, August Edvard LONG born in Malax, Finland, perhaps 1880's and married Ida Carlson. August was one of 12 children, some also came to America.

Long info

Hi Vern,
    If you don't get much in the way of responses from Finland, you may wish to add more information so that people in America can help you to backtrack to Finland.

For example, if we knew who emigrated to America, when, and to which town/state they had as their destination, that could be very helpful in searching church records here.

Good luck,
    Chuck

Comment

Hi Vern,
      There are two August's in the census, which one do you want me to look at? 1920 and 1930 find these:
      Alicia
      August Long
      Estimated birth year: 1874
      Birthplace: Finland
      Race: White
      Home in 1920: Waukegan, Lake, Illinois
      Home owned: View Image
      Sex: View Image
      Marital status: View Image
      Year of immigration: View Image
      Able to read & write: View Image
      Roll: T625_382
      Page: 18A
      ED: 284
      Image: 0464

August Long
      Estimated birth year: 1874
      Relation to Head-of-house: Head
      Home in 1930: Manhattan, New York, New York
      Education: View image
      Military Service: View image
      Rent/home value: View image
      Age at first marriage: View image
      Parents' birthplace: View image
      Owned a radio: View image
      Image Source: Year: 1930; Census Place: Manhattan, New York, New York
      ; Roll: T626_1580; Page: 2B; Enumeration District: 1134; Image: 1096.

August Long
      Estimated birth year: 1887
      Relation to Head-of-house: Head
      Home in 1930: Seattle, King, Washington
      Education: View image
      Military Service: View image
      Rent/home value: View image
      Age at first marriage: View image
      Parents' birthplace: View image
      Owned a radio: View image
      Image Source: Year: 1930; Census Place: Seattle, King, Washington;
      Roll: T626_2493; Page: 34B; Enumeration District: 35; Image: 0736.

Name: Gust Long
      Estimated birth year: 1887
      Home in 1920: Seattle, King, Washington
      Home owned: View Image
      Sex: View Image
      Marital status: View Image
      Year of immigration: View Image
      Able to read & write: View Image
      Roll: T625_1925
      Page: 16A
      ED: 69
      Image: 0658

Comment

I have received more information about August Edward Long but also I have more questions. August Edvard Long was born 6/29/1888, Malax, and left for America 8/11/1910 and died 3/30/1966. His parents were Johan Karl-Gustafson Berts b. 10/11/1861, d. 2/16/1929, m. 4/30/1886 and Maria Isaksdotter Holm b. 5/21/1866, d. 10/30/1911. He had a brother named Johan Isak Johnson b. 9/20/1886 who moved to America 10/3/1905 and married Helen. They also had a sister Anna Irene b. 8/26/1900 who moved to America 5/10/1926 and have no information about her.

How did August get last name of Long and Johan get last name of Johnson? I have not been able to find either of their parents.

August married Ida Alvina Carlson b. 1/13/1887, d. 3/1972 and first husband's last name was Eriks. I have not been able to trace her either.

Thanks for any help.

Comment

Long=Lång, Johnson=Johansson

Hi Vern,

My swedish dictionary gave me lång for long so that seems the source of that plus Johnson is an english language version of Johansson.
          Even with that, I didn't have much luck at the migration institute because I could not find people of those birthdates or travel dates.
          I wonder what the swedish version of Irene would be?

Chuck

Comment

I wonder what the swedish version of Irene would be?
            It would probably be the same - Irene. It´s a common name in Sweden now, and when I google search with irene + 1900 I find several Irene born around 1900 in Finland

Gita

Comment

Long

Vern,

I have an example how names were changed upon emigration. Johan Eriksson Kallis emigrated to the US with his family. Most of them chose Erickson as a surname, but son Anton chose his father's patronymic Johansson and changed it to Johnson. So he was the only child in the family who didn't share the same surname with his siblings.

One of my father's cousins in Finland married in 1898 to a woman named Irene Alice. And I have noted other women named Irene in my database so the name was used in Finland at least 100 years ago.

June
              June

Comment

Yes, a very common name at least in rural districts. And Malax is /was rural
                Kaj

Comment

Name changes can be even more taxing

I once did a Swenson search for a Swede looking for his Swede-Finn ancester who was born in Kvevlax.

This guy in Sweden knew where the family went to in Minnesota although he had county name mixed up as a town name but we sorted that out. Even better was his knowledge of the town name.
                  At that time I was just beginning and had some success at Swenson so even though this family was from Finland - it didn't occur to me that Swede-Finns would join Swedish churches here so you can see how green I was to this sort of work. Anyway, I went to the Finnish gen site and noticed a remark that the Finnish church met in the Swedish church building so I thought, why not check it out and I did. I found the child, correct name, date of birth but the parents had adopted a totally unexpected surname! That Finnish researcher missed this when the birth location was known. If Swenson had been contacted, they would have found the new surname. I went further and found the father lived until about age 45 while the researcher, going for a different person, said he lived to about 101 so the natural error was compounded.
                  People have made name changes that are totally out of character so birth date and birth parish are absolutely vital and always get fotocopies of those original records!
                  For what it's worth,
                  Chuck

Comment

Long

Dear Vern,
                    SFHS Member Verna Eriks has a story about the Long, Johnson, and Eriks family names. Maybe you can phone her?
                    Regards,
                    Syrene
                    Support SFHS - Building a bridge back to Finland!

Comment

Ida Alvina Carlson

Hi Vern,
                      Perhaps this will help in tracing Ida. It's from the membership list of Emmaus Lutheran in Seattle:

Ida Alvina h.h. född Carlson
                      parish: Tjöck in Wasalän
                      Her former husband was Henrik Emil Alfred Eriks[on] born also Tjöck in Wasalän on 3-16-1875
                      For August, his parish is Malax Aftterby if that makes any difference.

Somehow these Seattle churches got a batch of bad ink which is making it tough for us these days
                      Chuck

Comment

HI VERN
                        If Ida is from Tjöck I will ask my cousin to check if he has any information in his databases. He is living in Tjöck (outside the town of Kristinestad).

Kaj
                        Kaj

Comment

HI VERN
                          My cousin found this person and was rather sure she is the right one in spite of the differing birthyears. Her migrationdates he did not want to confirm cause he did not have any notes for the sources.

Agnäs, Ida Alvina. Born 13/1 1888 in Lappfjärd. Emigrated 1900 to USA. Immigrated 1909 to Tjöck. (UNSURE IFORMATION)
                          Married in USA med Eriks, Henrik Emil. Born 16/3 1875 in Tjöck. Died 8/9 1914 in USA. Resided in USA.
                          Generation I
                          f
                          Agnäs, Carl Erik. Born Åback 2/5 1837. Died 7/6 1905.
                          Married 1 med Krokbäck, Anna Maja Karlsdotter. Born 24/3 1833 in Lappfjärd. Died 15/12 1864.
                          Married 2 with.
                          m
                          Bäckelund, Maja Greta Isaksdotter. Born Håx 23/6 1842 in Lappfjärd. Died 5/7 1909.
                          Generation II
                          ff
                          Åback, Erik Eriksson. Born 20/6 1810. Died 26/6 1875. Farmer in Åback 11, 1/44.
                          Married 6/11 1832 with.
                          fm
                          Isuls, Fredrika. Born 22/11 1807.
                          Generation III
                          fm f
                          Isuls, Johan Johansson. Born 15/12 1775.
                          Married 1 to (down).
                          Married 2 to Lång, Anna Andersdr. Born 26/5 1775.
                          fm m
                          Antfolk, Elisabet. Born 6/9 1778 i Påskmark. Died 29/12 1808.
                          Married to (up)
                          Generation IV
                          fm mf
                          Antfolk, Michael. Born 1742 in Påskmark.
                          Married 11/12 1770 to
                          fm mm
                          Storlåhls, Anna Jacobi (=Jakobsdotter). Born 1744 in Låhlby, Lappfjärd. Died 1/2 1812.
                          Generation V
                          fm mf f
                          Antfolk, Olof Simonsson. Born Smeds 1711 in Påskmark. Died 14/7 1771. Resided on Antfolk farm.
                          Married to
                          fm mf m
                          Michaelsdotter, Margaretha. Born 1716. Died 29/11 1783.
                          Generation VI
                          fm mf mf
                          Henriksson, Michael. Born 1690. Died 22/7 1770. Qvick farm in Påskmark, farmholder in 1699 was Henrik Ersson.
                          Married to.
                          fm mf mm
                          Henriksdotter, Anna. Born 1686. Died 4/1 1760.

Kaj
                          Kaj Granlund
                          Registered
                          Last edited by Kaj Granlund; 26-02-04, 18:11.
                          Kaj

Comment

Working...
                          X