Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New names in Alatornio & Kuopio: Lambinen, Drucki, Koppare, Korpijärvi, and Melander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New names in Alatornio & Kuopio: Lambinen, Drucki, Koppare, Korpijärvi, and Melander

I've been slowly making progress and have come across the names noted in the subject header. If any one has more information about them I'll add more detail.

It's a little confusing because it looks like in a couple instances the husband took the wife's name so the children appear in HisKi with his name, then after a certain date the kids' names change.

These names are associated with my Kenttä and Ytterberg lines but appear to be pretty Swedish (especially the Ytterbergs).

All comments and suggestions are welcome!

Rikki

Hi,
    My grandmother was Kristina Melander born 5/12/1882 not sure where in Finland, married my grandfather, Frans Ivar Maenpaa (changed his name to Viklund) on 11/17/1907 I think in Overmark. She died in Overmark in a rest home on 01/10/1965. Buried in Korsnas.
    I know little of her family and have been intending to search for a marriage record that would tell me who her parents where.
    Is she someone who you are interested in?
    Dorothy
    Dorothy Faulkner

Comment

Melander relatives

Dorothy--

I know so little at this point that I can't say what might be helpful and what's not...though really nothing is ever wasted.

I'll just keep digging. Maybe something will turn up. I don't know anything about the Melander branch so we can just share info when it turns up.

Where is Overmark?

R.

Comment

Hi,
        I believe Overmark is a small town close to Vasa, Finland. I have recently learned it is part of the Narpes Parish. Do you have any info how to contact this Parish?

I should also mention that Kristina's father was born and lived in Sweden. Kristina had a younger brother, Johhnas Melander who lived in Sunvaldi, Sweden . His daughter's name is Ella.
        So this family could be part of your Swedish Connection.
        Keep me posted .
        Dorothy
        Dorothy Faulkner

Comment

New names

Hello,
          Sometimes the reason a man took his wife's name was because he married the heiress to the farm. thus when he married her he took on the responsibility for the farm, its debts, its taxes, and her parents' support when they turned over the farm to him. He was then "Bonden", the farmowner, rather than his father-in-law.
          Hope that helps.
          Regards,
          Syrene
          Support SFHS - Building a bridge back to Finland!

Comment

Syrene --

Thanks. It makes it a little clearer--it's still messy sorting these people out and sifting through the data to make sure the picture is reasonably accurate.

Was it a common practice to marry the farm so to speak? In the case that I'm researching now, the daughter was one of the younger children.

It's possible to almost pinpoint the date that the transfer took place. The children before the transfer were born to Nils Michelsson Koppare and after the transfer were born to Nils Michelsson Kenttä.

Of course I have yet to hear from the Alatornio Seurakunta to get confirmation of my great-grandmother's parents, but the probability seems reasonable. It's a place to start at least.

R.

Comment

Overmark

The address to Övermark parish is:
              Övermarks församling
              PB 35,
              FIN 64611 ÖVERMARK

e-mail: overmark.pastorskansli%40evl.fi

Kaj
              Kaj

Comment

Taking a new name

If the family's sons were unable to take over the farm, then a daughter and her husband could do so. How common it was, I can't say with accuracy. I know in my mother's mother's family it happened twice out of three generations before 1900. In the church books the son-in-law who takes over the farm is referred to as "måg" rather than simply "svärson" or son-in-law. I don't think there is a term for that in English.
                Regards,
                Syrene
                Support SFHS - Building a bridge back to Finland!

Comment

farm/famliynames

It might seem a bit messy with the names but simply you could say there were no famliynames until the beginning of 1920. But no rule without exceptions:
                  the first to have familynames were the clerk and nobel families.
                  then the people in the cities
                  soldiers and crofters.
                  In the rural areas the name of the farm or the group of farms told were the persons lived. So You can decided from the "name" where they were living at the birth of a child. And as they moved they took the new farm name.
                  The last families had their familynames at the beginning of 1920, and the last names were those refering to the nature such as Gran-, Björk-, Lind-.
                  It was not common but neither unusual that the youngest had the farm. Out of 13 siblings my grandfather was the youngest and he continued on the farm. Five of the elder emigrated to earn their living. One reason for the younger to take over was that the elder already had found their livng outside the farm, or also that some of them were not able to run the farm. But I think poverty is the main reason why not the eldest had the farm. The elder just had to find their living ouside a small farm.
                  Kaj

Comment

Working...
                  X