Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rules on how to write a person name correctly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think June and Gita have it right. For me that suggests the woman's name ought to move in chronological order so for my much married mother, it would be:

Laura Wilhelmina Kujansuu, m. Mäki, Harju, Peterson, Kelly

m.=married in English.

I see some churchbook lists showing the woman as:

Mathilda Löfström .f Hellman
    and if her husband David is listed:
    Matilda f. Hellman

The church secretary did well when the woman married. She was originally:
    "Anna Paulina Valin" which filled the whole space. After marriage the secretary put a carat between Paulina and Valin and wrote just above the carat " Malmberg, f." so here we see an elegant 1903 tech solution.

As usual, always easier for the men

Chuck

Comment

I used to work at a public registration office in Sweden, so I am quite familiar with the legislation of names in Sweden.
      If a woman or a man get married she or he can nowadays choose to either take the husbands/ wifes surname, keep the surname she/he has when she enters the marriage, and she/he can if so wish take either her/his own or the spouses surname as a middlename.
      The middlename has not status of a surname, it´s placed inbetween the forename/s and the surname. The children will not automatically inherite the middlename. If the parents have different surnames the children may have one parents surname and the other parents surname as a middlename. The middlename can be removed whenever you want to, and then you can apply for it again later on if you like.
      In the swedish public registration, there is a special field used for the middlename.
      If you want to you can give your child a patronymic or matronymic name like f.i. Andersson (if fathers forename is Anders) or Kajsasdotter (if mothers forename is Kajsa). This name is then placed among the forenames. Also if you have a strong connection to a farm, you can register the farms name by the forename/-s.

This is just an example that showes that it´s getting even more complicated in the 1900 and forth genealogy, especially since different countries have different name regulations. I think it will be necessary to make notes on when and how a name was received. Since it´s no longer all that obvious, and can change many times during life. At least here in Sweden.

Gita

Comment

Complications are returning

Hi Gita,
        After reading your post, it brought to mind that things here are becoming complicated again. My own family is an example.

Our son John got married to Donna in Colorado.

Colorado allows people to in effect marry themselves so no need for clergy, just a civil marriage permit.
        So they chose to do what Colorado allows. Also they had 2 ceremonies!
        The first ceremony was done the day of the wedding at 8 am for family members and held at the base of a small waterfall they had discovered.

Not an easy trek to that place but a grand setting and reminiescent of Colorado gold mining days of the 1880s.

Then the big ceremony was held in a fantastic log building located on the lake in Evergreen, Colorado - people from there will know the place.

Donna, instead adopting John's last name, kept hers as it is. I believe they do this in Russia.
        Chuck

Comment

Working...
        X