Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harold Walter Moeller

Hi Christopher,
    Here is additional info. on Harold Moeller, Marjorie's husband.

Denise

U.S. Veterans Gravesites, ca.1775-2006
    Name: Harold W Moeller
    Service Info.: CAPT US AIR FORCE WORLD WAR II, KOREA
    Birth Date: 30 Dec 1922
    Death Date: 18 Jan 2005
    Cemetery: Washington Memorial Park
    Cemetery Address: 16449 International Blvd Cameron Smock V P & General Manager Seattle, WA 98188

Source Information:
    National Cemetery Administration. U.S. Veterans Gravesites, ca.1775-2006

Comment

Hi Denise! Thx so much for all the info. I got the pm's & tried to send reply but not sure it went to you.I'll try again.In meanwhile,looks like the 1930 census is definitely my Edith--thanks so much! Is it possible to find further info./death date,etc. for John & Mary Holm or Edith? BTW, why has my thread gone to GSF & what is GSF? Thx again for all your hard work & I'll try you on pm again. Best regards,Christopher

Comment

Gsf

Originally posted by Hagstrom,C. View Post
        ...BTW, why has my thread gone to GSF & what is GSF? ...r
        I took the liberty and moved the thread to another subforum which is built up as an interchange forum between Finlander and the Suku -forum.
        The Suku forum is the Finnish-/Swedish -language genealogy forum upheld by the Genealogical Society of Finland. Since I'm administering both forums I felt that this particular thread might get some extra coverage also on that forum - maybe giving some feedback at some point.

Hasse

Comment

Hej Hasse,
          Thanks for the explanation & apologies for my lack of expertise! That's an excellent means to gain add'l. exposure for my search, of course. Is the SUKU forum only in Finnish or Swedish language & how would I gain access to view?
          Again, many thanks & best regards,
          Christopher

Comment

SUKU Forum

Hi Christopher,
            I understand you have to be a member (and I am not sure how to do the membership) to be able to post and answer queries on that site. I myself have wanted to answer some of the queries that Hasse reposted on Finlander Forum, but found it was not possible for me to be able to post a reply, and many times I had the information that the person was searching for. It appears it is all in the Swedish language. I'm just getting the hang of Finnish a little bit! so Swedish is still beyond my capabilities.

Sincerely,
            Denise

Comment

Suku forum

The Suku forum - a bilingual Finnish/Swedish -forum can be joined the same way as Finlander - but of course the language of the questions are our two national languages. The Finlander forum is in tight cooperation with the Suku forum and I have set up an exchange mechanism for searches that might give some response from the other forum. Answering must however always be done on the original forum! The link to the original message thread is posted in the message on Finlander!! (The exchange mechanism is more of an announcement mechanism to let people on the other forum know about certain discussions going on)

As a general rule I would say that English language questions and the emigration -related questions should be posted on Finlander and Finnish/Swedish "dealing with questions local to Finland" may be posted on the Suku forum.

http://suku.genealogia.fi

At some point in the future I can foresee that the cooperation with the Suku forum will get even tighter - to the benefit of all interested in Finland and genealogy in Finland.

Hasse

Comment

Otto Wilhelm

Hi Christopher,
                Some great news from Johan Granlund in Mariehamn. Johan read the article in the newspaper "Nya Åland" and he has been to the Provincial Archives of Åland and found these Otto Wilhelm born in Finland with the mother's first name Sofia ( Sophia)

1. Otto Wilhelm born 2 March 1868
                Mother Sofia Wilhelmina Wallenius
                Father the taylor Otto Wilhelm Christén at the farm Orras in village Ebbo in Borgå

2. Otto Wilhelm born 21 April 1864
                Mother Maria Sofia Lindroos
                Father the farmer Wilhelm Vilander at the farm Tupala in village Levando in Mäntsälä

3. Otto Wilhelm born 17 March 1864
                Mother Sofia Kauppinen
                Father Josef Myntin Wilhelm Liukkonen at farm no 5 in Laurikkala in Kristinestad Österbotten

4 Otto Wilhelm born 8 July 1864
                Mother Beatha Sofia
                Father the carpenter Anders Lillqvist from Petersb in Viborg´s Swedish parish

Some comments: Otto Willhelm's wife Edla Sophia was born pretty close to Kristinestad?
                If I remember correct you found recently in the death records that Otto Wilhelm was born in April 1864.
                A guess: Is it possible that the father died and than the mother was remarried Christian Hagström ?

We hope that any members in Finlander and Suku will send any suggestions
                / Ingemar

Comment

Hej Ingemar,
                  My thanks to you & Johan Granlund for this info from archives in Mariehamn. Not sure if any of these are my Otto Wilhelm: 1) The death record from US cemetery where he/Edla are buried states he died on 15 Jan 1917 at age 52 yrs,9 mos,9 days which puts his birthday, working backward, at 6 Apr 1865(?); on 1900 US Fed.Census his d.o.b. listed as Mar 1865;2) I don't know if Otto's father died & mother re-married--I have absolutely no info about Otto's family before emigration;3) To best of my knowledge, Otto only met Edla after emigration to US/don't think they knew each other in Finland--they married in Philadelphia,PA USA on Nov 23,1895-- but it's always possible. I think they met in Phila. through Finlander friends John & Mary Holm. Thx for all & pls let me know if anything else is found. Regards,Christopher

Comment

Hej to all:
                    Small correction to birth date calculation from cemetery record on my previous post: as was kindly pointed out to me, Otto's birth date would be 6 Apr 1864 (not '65) if age at death was 52 yrs, 9 mos, 9 days on 15 Jan 1917.

Apologies for my mathematically-challenged skills.Thanks! Christopher

Comment

Hagström

I did a quick check of HisKi parishes for an Otto Wilhelm, b. 6 Apr 1864 and although there were 43 children named Otto Wilhelm born in 1864, there was only one born on 6 Apr - in Johannes - St. Johannes parish:

Otto Wilhelm, b. 6 Apr 1864 in Waahtola Village No. 1 to crofter's son David Johansson Nikulainen who married 20 Oct 1861 to Anna Lovisa Johansdotter Kurki, age 30. I didn't find any other children born to them in that parish.

I found no record of Otto Wilhelm's birth in Åland. And the names of the above parents don't match what you have posted.
                      June

Comment

Hi June,
                        Thanks so much for that info. However, it doesn't seem to match other info. for my Otto as given on records here in US for him. In particular, the US Fed.Census' for 1900,1910, & 1920 all point to Finland Swede origins for him & his parents (copies are attached to early pgs of this thread). Also, on these census', his birth date listed variously as 3/1865 & 1866.
                        The birth date I gave came from death age listed on his cemetery record & his parents first names came from a 1937-38 W.P.A. record which was probably transcribed, possibly inaccurately, from some orig. doc. I know that record sources here are notoriously unreliable sometimes compared to European records.
                        Thanks again & pls be in touch with anything else you may have.
                        Regards,
                        Christopher

Comment

Hej to all,

I had a question/small appeal for help regarding something I found while googling on the internet: I found a site called "wasaroots" which had the names of persons who, I think, research family names from around Vasa. One listing showed "Norrgård Nr 39, Malax". In an earlier post to this thread from Christer, he noted that he'd found my great-grandmother's family were from"Norrgård Nr 39 Övermalax". I wondered if these two might be the same place & if so, whether that person might have info related to my Norrgårds.

Also, I found another person's listing which had the name "Häggström" instead of Hagström or Hagstrom as my great-grandfather's family name was spelled in US. Is it possible that our name was simplified/shortened from that spelling & that I should check that person's file? I also saw next to that a "Holmlund": my great-grandparents had friends named Holm; might that have been shortened,also? Perhaps they were all originally from Vasa area & knew each other before America.

Any thoughts as to whether this is a valid line of reasoning or how to follow-up? Any help most appreciated!
                          Christopher

Comment

Name Spellings

I would say you need to be flexible when it comes to the way names are spelled. Haggstrom, Häggström, Hägström, etc. My own family name has been mis-spelled many ways: Palo, Polo, Pilo, Pillow, Pellow, Pälo, etc. So just follow up on any that look promising. And, yes, many names were shortened upon emigration. I'm attaching an interesting article about name changes.
                            Attached Files
                            June

Comment

Hej to all,
                              I have another appeal for help adding to some info I just got about my gr-grndmthr Edla's sister. Her name is Hilda Lovisa Johansdttr Norrgård, b.8Jun1880,Malax.She apparently came to US twice:25 May 1902 & 16 Sept 1915;she died 2 Feb 1968, WA state, USA. Could anyone find/advise how to find more about Hilda Lovisa or her family here in US?
                              Thanks! Christopher

Comment

Originally posted by Denise View Post
                                Hi,
                                I have found two passenger records for an Ida Orre on Ancestry. I don't know if these will help, but one is from Mustasaari, Korsholm. I'll also check the Institute of Migration and post what I find.

Denise

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
                                Name: Ida Orre
                                Arrival Date: 18 Aug 1894
                                Estimated Birth Year: abt 1854
                                Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
                                Ethnicity/Race*/Nationality: Finnish
                                Ship Name: Campania
                                Search Ship Database: View the Campania in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
                                Port of Arrival: New York, New York
                                Line: 12
                                Microfilm Serial: M237
                                Microfilm Roll: M237_630

Source Citation: Year: 1894; Microfilm serial: M237; Microfilm roll: M237_630; Line: 12; .

Source Information:
                                Ancestry.com. New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957

------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943
                                Name: Ida Elisabet Orre
                                Arrival Date: 10 Mar 1921
                                Estimated Birth Year: abt 1898
                                Ethnic Background: Finnish
                                Port of Departure: Copenhagen, Denmark
                                Ship Name: Hellig Olav
                                Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
                                Friend's Name: Ernst Orr
                                Last Residence: Finland
                                Birthplace: Muslasaarb, Finland
                                Microfilm Roll Number: 262

Source Information:
                                Ancestry.com. Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943
                                Hi Denice
                                I am a relativ to Ida Orre and Mother Karolina Orre b.Walderman.Have you any moore info about the family?
                                Olof

Comment

Working...
                                X