Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Names on Census

Hi Peter,

Sorry to have confused you. After I found Hugo in the 1910 census as Schurber you mentioned in a later post that you couldn't find Hugo Schurber in the 1930 census. My intention was to make you aware that because a wrong spelling of the name was recorded on the 1910 census it wouldn't necessarily be wrong on the following censuses.

I hope this doesn't further confuse you but all three censuses could have different wrong spellings or 1920 could be correct and 1930 again wrong but not Shurber.
    As it turns out Kevin found Hugo in the 1920 census as Hugs Shuberg a second different wrong spelling. At the moment he hasn't been found in the 1930 census.

When I couldn't find Hugo in the 1910 index as Sjoberg or any other spelling that I thought it would sound like when pronounced,I found him by searching for all the Finnish born Hugo's in New York state then narrowed it down.
    I don't know in what ways you are able to search on the other censuses. Perhaps Kevin could help with advising whether or not a given name search is possible.

I hope you find him on the 1930 census, very soon. Have you located your other relatives on the census and searched the surrounding areas for him boarding?

Is there any possiblity that as a ships carpenter Hugo went to sea and wasn't in America at the time of the census? Just another idea to think about.

Best wishes,
    Jeanette

Comment

Hugo

Dear Jeanette

Thankyou for the clearifying. It is most kind of you.

I know where he lived and some of his whereabouts until 1920, Furthermore I also know that he spent quite a time with his brother (my grandfather) between 1928 and 1933.
      I also now know that he lived with his uncle Nils, who according to Kevins info died between 1920 and 1930. Nils wife Olga then moved to West 162nd street where the other Terjärv people lived including my grandparents.
      My uncle Clas was born there 1932 and they moved back to finland 1933 never to return. That was the last contact they had with Hugo.

All this is thanks to all help I have received from all of you and I am very greatful.

When I read Kevins message again today I´m recalling that some time ago I found somewhere somehow in the immigration files at Ellis Island a Hugo or Hugh, working as a ship carpenter 1922 or something like that, but I thought that it was the wrong person since he came to the US 1902.

I will try to find that Hugo again to see if there is a match

Once again, thank you for your efforts in helping me out with this.

Peter

Comment

Re: Names on Census

Originally posted by jeanette
        Perhaps Kevin could help with advising whether or not a given name search is possible.
        Unfortunately, Hugo doesn't show up in the index. I tried searching (the entire US) for all Hugos born in Finland and nothing even remotely close returns. Since, in 1920, they misspelled his first name as Hugs (only in the index) it's possible it's misspelled in the 1930 census as well. That or he appears on a page that the writing is very faint and he simply isn't on the index. I just had that example happen to me in 1910. Sometimes, names are even covered by a piece of tape (to repair a torn page?) and they're just lost forever.

I think the only alternative is to search that area page by page, name by name.
        Kevin Paavola
        Orlando Florida

Comment

Working...
        X